PAN 200 Rack Mount

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN 200 Rack Mount

L3 Networker

Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a PAN 200 device very soon for a small site that I'm responsible for. I'd like to know what's in the box with regards to mounting it in a standard 19" rack. I know that there is a separate rack mount kit available for the device but from the cost of it I can only imagine it's something to make the unit go in a large server rack.

For example, you can get small HP Procurve switches of a similar size to the PAN 200  and HP do not advertise anywhere the fact that in the box there are two L shaped brackets that are essentially spacers that allow the device to be mounted in a 19" rack. They do though advertise a huge rack mount kit which is actually a rail kit and totally over the top.

Essentially, I don't want to order something I don't need and so if anyone who actually owns or has opened the box of a PAN 200 could confirm what's included, that would be of great benefit.

Many thanks in advance,

pan

UKRB

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

The kit widens the PA-200 to fit a 19"rack . So if you want to fit pa-200 into something smaller server rack then I do not think you have a kit for that.

Thanks,
Sandeep T

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L6 Presenter

Pan 200 comes with the firewall and the power adapter only. It does not have a rack mount kit in the package. You have to get it separately.

Thanks for the speedy response! So the rack mount kit widens the unit to fit a 19" rack of it is a full rail kit of some sort? I want to put the device in a small rack that is not as deep as a full server rack.

Thanks

The kit widens the PA-200 to fit a 19"rack . So if you want to fit pa-200 into something smaller server rack then I do not think you have a kit for that.

Thanks,
Sandeep T

Well my PA-200 has arrived an I'm still slightly surprised that it hasn't come with something to make it fit a 19" rack. As I said before, it's the sort of thing other vendors chuck in for free. Poor show PA - especially the price! :smileyangry:

But, what is most annoying is that after ordering the rack mount kit over two weeks ago, I still don't have it because the distributor says it's rarely ordered!! C'mon PA.... What's going on! I love working with your kit and I tell others so, but when I wait over two weeks for a metal bracket it's quite annoying. While it seems like a small thing - how can you complete a job professionally if the kit you have configured is slumped in the bottom of a rack!

I do hope you did notify your sales engineer regarding this as a feature request?

I think the f**k up comes from that the PA-200 is a desktop device (fanless and all that) and not necessary a rackmounted device.

But I totally agree with you - the brackets (to make PA-200 fit in a 19") should be included free of charge (just as with the other models).

I'm quite sure the PA-200 is not fanless, and the noise coming from it can be quite annoying at times.

Unfortunately the PA-200 seems to have missed it's silent mark since the fan is spinning at 3800 RPM about all the time.

The PA-200 architecture seems to be dual-core, with one core assigned for dataplane, and one core assigned for control-plane (using CPU Affinity). Problem with that is that one core is running the dataplane (pan_task) at 100% cpu contineously, which causes the CPU to be in 'active' state all the time, causing rather high temperatures and the noise involved.

Apart from that I prefer a PA-200 anytime to a PA-500 because of the better control plane performance (higher cpu clocks + flash based storage)

I dont know from where I got that PA-200 would be fanless...

Trying to dig through the specsheets but no words about it there, however PA-200 is speced operating temp at 0-40C while all the other models have 0-50C.

Well, the rack mount kit for the PA 200 finally arrived after a number of weeks. For the benefit of people that are not sure what it looks like as I was originally, I have added a photo below. The plate in the middle of the brackets is to be attached on the side of the unit to support the power supply unit.

Palo200Rack.jpg

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!