Panorama Managed Devices names missing in HA peer, and show as disconnected when they're not!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama Managed Devices names missing in HA peer, and show as disconnected when they're not!

L1 Bithead

Hi,

I'm using Panorama 8.1.13 to manage 60 or so firewalls. Mostly PA-220s with a few PA-5220. These firewalls are in a number of templated device groups.

Both Panoramas are M100 appliances. The Managed Devices are correct on the primary Pano. The Device Names and Serial Numbers are correct, and they are in the correct device groups.

My problem is with the HA peer. The managed devices on the secondary peer show some of the PA-5220s names are missing. The name is shown as the serial number. These firewalls or virtual systems are shown as disconnected, but on the primary, they are not disconnected.

Do I need to change the HA to the secondary, delete the firewalls that are in error, and re-add them using their serial numbers? Will that resolve the names and connect status? Will this cause me problems with pushing changes?

Thanks,

Ambi

5 REPLIES 5

L1 Bithead

Hi @Ambidexter6 

In the Individual firewalls, the IP address of the Peer Panorama might be missing on the devices which are being displayed as disconnected. Can you check it out.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Unfortunately, the two panorama servers are defined in the Panorama Settings dialog. We're enabling push, with 240 second timeouts and a 25 SSL retry count.

I might want to see if deleting the secondary's IP in a firewall then adding it again makes it work. The problem with this is the Panorama servers are defined by template. So I'd need to override it, the revert it. That may be more than I want to do.

Is there a CLI command to show the status of connections to the Panorama peers...both on Panorama to see the firewalls, and the firewalls to see both Panoramas?

Thanks,
Ambi

@Ambidexter6 

On the firewall, you can check the status of connection to the panoramas by this command - "show panorama-status" in user-exec mode.

On the Panorama, you can check by these commands - "show devices all"/"show devices connected" in user-exec mode.

Hope this helps.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Ambidexter6 ,

I had also went through the same issue we restarted 'management-server' process on affected gateway and post it gateway started showing connected.

You can try with this.

NOTE - Trying this shouldn't create any impact on dataplane.

Hope it helps you!

Mayur

M

Hi,

I finally figured this out!

The issue is that the management interface on all the firewalls needs to have the "Permitted IP Addresses" which defines which IPs can permit SSH, SNMP, ping, etc.

This is located in Panorama -> Setup -> Interfaces -> Management -> Permitted IP Addresses.

The thing that made me finally figure this out was the "Device Management Services" section:

Ambidexter6_0-1584625231721.png

That section isn't in every firewall, just Panorama, whereas the othere sections (Administrative Management Services, and Network Services) are in every firewall.

But how could I not see that the firewalls were all in the permitted list? That's easy. We've got over 70 firewalls, and the page these go into on Panorama (or any firewall) only scrolls. It does not page, it does not allow import/export, and you can't resize the window. So, unless you show them in the CLI, there's no way to really know for sure that they're in there.

For example, I can't export them, and I can't template them, so I have the 70 firewalls, as well as IPs for any user, monitoring device, SNMP manager, syslog machine, etc. defined here, so I have at least 100 devices.

Now, the list is templated for the firewalls themselves...that is to say, each firewall's individual list of permitted IPs is identical as they all use the "Base" template for such settings. But for Panorama, it's all manual.

So what I needed to do was screen-shot the 5 pages of firewalls from the working, primary Panorama, and do the same thing with the Secondary. Then, highlight which was missing on each side (if there was something missing from the Primary, it would show up).

Now, this could be easier by using the CLI, but I dissuade casual users of Panorama from SSH-ing into it, so I wanted to document the procedure with the GUI. And it works, but it's smelly.

Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,

Ambi

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!