Panorama - VMware Tools?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama - VMware Tools?

Not applicable

Is VMware Tools supported by Panorama or is it recomended to install via ESX?

Thx,
Jeff

10 REPLIES 10

L5 Sessionator

Hi Jeff,

VMware Tools is not supported.  It is recommended to install VMware ESX(i) 4.x or 3.5.

L4 Transporter

There is no benefit in loading VMWare tools, the user interface is not a graphical so video drivers are a waste of resources. Panorama only uses web and CLI so there is no value added.

~Phil

Hello,

Do you have a plan to support of ESX(i)5?

Regards,

Tomoyuki Komure

Yes and we are in the process of testing 5.0 to make sure there are no problems before claiming official support.

Is this still not supported? Do we have an FR?

Regards,

Moorthy

L4 Transporter

ok then how many vendors actually allow VMTools on their VM ? These tools can allow execution of any command and lead to crash of the machine, thus voiding warranty ...

According to VMware, best practice is to have vm-tools installed on appliances that companies offer for sale.

Best Practices for Building Virtual Appliances

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/Best_Practices_Building_Virtual_Appliances.pdf

------

Additionally, there are some best practices that relate to the

portability and performance of your virtual appliance. The most

critical of these is that your virtual appliance should be build

using SCSI virtual disks. It is also important that your virtual

appliance includes VMware Tools. VMware Tools provides optimized

drivers for VMware virtual hardware and management

tools that can monitor and manage the virtual appliance with

VMware VirtualCenter.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

I completely agree with Steven's assertion... the fact that the VMware tools aren't bundled with Panorama already is a joke. There's no good reason not to have the tools integrated, for monitoring purposes.

L1 Bithead

Is there any document says that it is not supported, can any one provide it, kindly

L0 Member

It is not supported, no benefits of using VMware  Tool. It is recommended to install VMware ESX(i) 4.x or 3.5.

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!