Policy base routing for internal trafique

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Policy base routing for internal trafique

L1 Bithead

Aperçu de l'image de couverture

Hello everyone,

I have two ISPs wan1 and wan2, for lan 1 it must go out through wan1 and lan2 through wan2. in the event of a problem with one of the wans, the associated lan will have to exit through the other wan temporarily. To do this, configure them two default routes with different metrics: 0.0.0.0/0 =wan 1 with metric of 10 0.0.0.0/0 = wan 2 with metric of 15 and in policy base routing: Lan2 = wan2 until everything works the problem is that I cannot put monitoring on the PBR and when I take the address of the E1 / 2 port in cli and I ping 8.8.8.8 it does not take the PBR in consideration and it is the same for the moritor generated by the PBR while I have correctly specified the address of the interface and made several tests, also the PBR is tested and works correctly. My question is: what are the steps on which traffic generated by the interface will go through, and if you have a solution, thank you very much.

Zaouidi Abdelfettah
Cyber security engineer
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Policy based routing takes effect before the virtual router has a chance to do any routing on the traffic. For the monitor, choose the IP address of the ISP gateway. In your virtual router, put in a static route for that gateway as a /32 address out the proper interface.

example:

Static Router WAN1 Gateway:

OtakarKlier_0-1633367351630.png

This forces all the traffic destined for the WAN1 gateway out that interface. Then use that WAN1 gateway IP for your monitor IP in the PBF. This way if that IP is unreachable, PBF policy will disable its self. Since its a /32 address, general routing priciples tell the system that its a more specific route than the default so the default route will never get used to get to the WAN1 IP address.

Similar for WAN2.

Hope this makes sense.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Policy based routing takes effect before the virtual router has a chance to do any routing on the traffic. For the monitor, choose the IP address of the ISP gateway. In your virtual router, put in a static route for that gateway as a /32 address out the proper interface.

example:

Static Router WAN1 Gateway:

OtakarKlier_0-1633367351630.png

This forces all the traffic destined for the WAN1 gateway out that interface. Then use that WAN1 gateway IP for your monitor IP in the PBF. This way if that IP is unreachable, PBF policy will disable its self. Since its a /32 address, general routing priciples tell the system that its a more specific route than the default so the default route will never get used to get to the WAN1 IP address.

Similar for WAN2.

Hope this makes sense.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!