POP3S question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

POP3S question

Retired Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Does anyone know how Palo Alto Networks handles POP3S?  I checked the applipedia, and there is no individual application for it.  It is also not a part of the POP3 application as far as I can tell.  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Emma

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter
5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

Hello Emma

Please check this document:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-4973

Amjad

Retired Member
Not applicable

Hi Amjad,

Okay so seems like the app will be SSL if you don't decrypt it.  If you decrypt it will be pop3.

Thanks!

Emma

L0 Member

Sorry to bring up this tread after sevral years. I have the same problem trying to decrypt POP3 SSL and/or IMAP SSL (and unfortunately I get access denied while trying to open the link in the proposed solution).

Can anyone shade some light on how to decrypt these protocols?

Thanks in advance!

Never stop learning & troubleshooting

1. generate self signed CA cert or import your enterprise CA into PA device.

2. create decryption rule focused on TCP995 (=POP3S) #change port if you are using different number or IMAP SSL

3. on your client side, import above CA cert and trust it. If you are using Mozilla Thunderbird, don't mistake import place. It's not mmc>cert util, it should be under setting in Thunderbird

That's it.

I am able to decrypt my gmail traffic (pop3s) with my PA box without any issue.

L0 Member

Thanks for the quick reply,

I'll try to apply your suggestions.Hopefully half of the problem is solved 😉

We use "POP Beamer" as client (a pop connector for MS Exchange) and now I have to study how to apply the certificate.

Thanks!

Never stop learning & troubleshooting
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!