QoS Guaranteed Bandwidth question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

QoS Guaranteed Bandwidth question

L2 Linker

We have a couple of tenants in our building and I was wanting to insure a guaranteed bandwidth of our 100 Mbs circuit for us regardless of what the tenants are doing. I was looking at something like this: I set all of our traffic to class 1 and all tenant traffic to class 2; create a QoS profile that sets class 1 with guaranteed bandwidth to 75 and 0 for max and class 2 with a 0 for guaranteed and 0 for max bandwidth. I am uncertain of what the 0 guaranteed will do. lets say one tenant is downloading a 35 GB file, will this QoS profile still guarantee us up to 75Mbs and the tenant have access to the remaining 25Mps + what we are not using of the 75Mps?

Thanks.,

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hi @Bvance 

Yes, your configuration would still guarantee you to use the 75 Mbit/s and the tenant download will be slowed down to 25 Mbit/s. The 0 at egress guaranteed for class 2 means that if the traffic exceeds this value the firewall passes this traffic on a best effort basis.

A configuration that would do also what you want but with less configuration steps would be if you configure only a QoS rule for your traffic and assign class 1. In the QoS profile configure the priority of realtime and egress max of 75. As traffic that does not match a QoS rule it will be assigned to default class 4. So your traffic will always have the higher priority. When you do not use your 75 Mbit/s the tenant traffic can use the available bandwidth.

Hope this helps,

Remo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

Hi @Bvance 

Yes, your configuration would still guarantee you to use the 75 Mbit/s and the tenant download will be slowed down to 25 Mbit/s. The 0 at egress guaranteed for class 2 means that if the traffic exceeds this value the firewall passes this traffic on a best effort basis.

A configuration that would do also what you want but with less configuration steps would be if you configure only a QoS rule for your traffic and assign class 1. In the QoS profile configure the priority of realtime and egress max of 75. As traffic that does not match a QoS rule it will be assigned to default class 4. So your traffic will always have the higher priority. When you do not use your 75 Mbit/s the tenant traffic can use the available bandwidth.

Hope this helps,

Remo

Thanks for your help Remo!

Quick question. What if I set class 1 to real-time and class 2 to medium but I leave max egress and guaranteed egress to 0 on both? We will still be prioritized over their traffic even whe downloading very large files?

Thanks,

Yes, your traffic will be  served first. But with this confoguration it is possible that you consume all the bandwidth and nothing is left for your tenant(s)

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!