"Stupid" Custom URL Filtering Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

"Stupid" Custom URL Filtering Question

L4 Transporter

If I want to block all derivations of "acme.com" in URL filtering how should I format the domain in my blocklist/custom blocking category?

If I add "acme.com" then that doesn't appear to match "www.acme.com", but if I add "*.acme.com" then it doesn't match "acme.com" (although it does it that redirects to another URL such as www.acme.com).

Ultimately I wan to be able to say I am blocking ALL traffic associated with a specific domain with as few repeated entries as possible!

Cheers

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

You should be able to block www.acme.com and acme.com with the patterns:

*.acme.com

acme.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

You should be able to block www.acme.com and acme.com with the patterns:

*.acme.com

acme.com

Thanks - this is what I thought - is this 'behavior by design'?

However, as I understand it this means that if I add:-

acme.com

*.acme.com

and they add a new tier:-

bypass.www.acme.com

then it won't match my filters and will be allowed, and I'll need to add:-

*.*.acme.com

Seems a bit cack-handed - and reactionary - when all I want to do is say - block "ACME"..!

Yes, this is expected. When you need to block bypass.www.acme.com, the wildcard to be used will be *.*.acme.com.

Hi There,

Here is a thread with some more expansion on all the delimiters other than 'dots'.

Thanks

James

When you setup:

acme.com

*.acme.com

doesnt that second line include what.ever.www.acme.com ?

And to answer apackard: this is quite common when it comes to url-filtering, I have seen this behaviour on more devices than PA. I guess those who doesnt have this in the GUI will actually do the same thing in the backend.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!