RDP access to private servers behind Palo Alto

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

RDP access to private servers behind Palo Alto

L1 Bithead

Hello, I am new to Palo Alto and I would like help in configuring RDP access to a server in the private network  for testing purposes. I have  gone through several articles but cannot seem to get it to work. Below is my config. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

NAT Policy:

Original Packet:

Source Zone: untrust

Destination Zone: untrust

Destination Interface: eth 1/1

Service: Any

Source Address: Any

Destination Address: Public IP address of the Firewall

Translated Packet:

Source Address Translation: None

Destination Address Translation:

Translated Address: Private IP address of the server or subnet of the private network/Also tried public IP

Translated Port: <blank>

Security Rule

Source Zone: untrust

Source Address: any

User: any

Destination Zone: trust

Destination Address: Public IP address of the firewall

Service: RDP

Action: Allow

Log: end

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

Hello @Linford 

Your two policies look OK. You review the Monitor Log traffic when you testing the access from external Networks? 

Translated Address: Private IP address is the correct

You check if another policy block the trarffic ? You check if your Nat and Security policy do it a Match/Hit ?

You have checked review if the endpoint local Firewall/IPS an other security sofware can block your request to RDP ?

Cheers

High Sticker

Thanks for the response. Based on the config posted earlier, I was not getting any Match/Hit. Monitor logs was not showing any traffic from my local to the Firewall or Server. Made one change to the policies by switching Public IP of firewall to private IP and I can see some traffic but rdp still doesnt work. Did a capture on the traffic and I can see my local reaching the firewall private ip and servers private IP but no response coming back from the server. Anything here that I am missing?

Helo @Linford 

Ok, so both the security policy and NAT, you already see Hits in it.

OK, when you check the incoming traffic in the firewall you already see logs, marked as age-out ? if you filter for example by tcp port 3389 ?

Now the next points to check.
-Does your server, which you are trying to reach, have local windows firewall ? or some software that could be denying the connection ? Did you validate by disabling, just temporarily to validate, and then make the corresponding adjustments ?
-Now the server has correct access to its default gateway ? to the LAN gateway of your Trust network ? Do you have Ping to it ?
-Now from the server you have access to the Internet ? if you do a Ping or a trace you have access ? the trace and the ping answer correctly ?
-At firewall level has the default route set, the public default gateway, that is your 0.0.0.0.0/0 through the same link associated to your 1/1 interface?
-Do you have multiple WAN links ?
- From the RDP server, do you have access to the Internet ?

Best regards

High Sticker

Yes I do see traffic in the logs. Image attached

Linford_0-1668492736778.png

Also disabled firewall temporarily. Server has correct access to its default gateway and trace route succeeds to the internet. Default route has been set and 0.0.0.0/0 attached to eth1/1. RDP server has access as well and still no luck. Could you please explain having multiple WAN links mean? Also noticed that, logs traffic are only generated when rdp file is pointed to the public ip of the firewall.

Linford_1-1668493002298.png

Hi usually the age-out issue is either a nat issue or a return path issue.

I mean if you have more than one link to the internet, multiple links.

The server must be able to, I am talking from the server, directly from the server, to have correct internet access from the server's private Ip to some test Ip.

Now a nat destination NAT, has to comply with the following.

Referential example:
NAT policy:

Origin zone: Untrust/WAN zone
Destination Zone Untrust/WAN zone
Source Any ( or you filter from X public IPs to establish the connection )
Destination Address: The public IP with which you are doing the NAT / DNAT ( i.e. the External IP of the server, External Public )
Service: You could just set the RDP, example TCP-3389
Source translate: Nothing None
Destination Translation: Here at this exact point goes the Private IP, the LAN IP of your server.
You can use Translated Port to set 3389.

Now the Security Policy example:

Source zone Untrust/WAN Zone
Destination: The destination zone, e.g. DMZ, Trust, Servers, etc. however you have it named.
Source Address: Any
Destination Addres: The public IP with which you are doing the NAT / DNAT (i.e. the External IP of the server, External Public).
In service: You can also use the service to close and only limit to port 3389-TCP-RDP.

Try in each case, NAT and security policy, upload the policy to be one of the first, in both cases.

Now your server must exit on the same link that your request enters so you don't have problems with return traffic.

Validate that the server, that is to say from the private IP of the server, can exit correctly to the Internet, that at the level of routing by the main link and/or the same of the DNAT it works well.

Now also validate that you are placing the correct Ip, that the server, if you arrive from the same LAN or from the same network if you answer the RDP.
Validate that from the Server you have Ping with the LAN gateway, you have Ping, with public Ip.

Validate that there is no security profile blocking the connection.

Try the connection from several external connections, from outside the network, not from the inside, but from the outside against that public IP you mention, from your laptop sharing internet with your cell phone via 4G, from a home network, your house, etc.

Greetings

High Sticker
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!