Rdp windows

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Rdp windows

L4 Transporter

Hi,

is it a good idea giving access to public windowd  rdp ?.

Folks says do not publish outside 

Any good reason for this ?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

L4 Transporter

Let me understand your question,

Allow anyone from Internet able to connect to a system listen on Remote Desktop protocol on your network?    Is that what you are asking?

1.  How update is the system patch level?

2.  There could be a chance of non-publicly disclosure bugs on RDP can use a backdoor (also known as 0 days attack, which I disagree with that term).

3.  How is the password complexity and length?  Does it require multi factor authentication?   Is it a client cert based login authentication?

4.  If I am able to login to that host,  is that system part of Corp Active Directory?  How secured is the AD admin accounts?

and more and more...

Hi

Allow anyone from Internet able to connect to a system listen on Remote Desktop protocol on your network?    Is that what you are asking?

yes  and ofcourse we will give them credentials 

3 . How is the password complexity and length?  Does it require multi factor authentication?   Is it a client cert based login authentication?

No mfa  

no cert based auth 

4 .  If I am able to login to that host,  is that system part of Corp Active Directory?  How secured is the AD admin accounts?

What is the relations Ad admin accounts security  with that 

Thanks 

Let's see, once I am able to RDP login to a host which is part of the AD.  The opportunity is endless.  

I can start by following these steps which I just finish #2,

1. Reconnaissance
  2. Initial intrusion into the network
  3. Establish a backdoor into the network
  4. Obtain user credentials
  5. Install various utilities
  6. Privilege escalation/ lateral movement/ data exfiltration
  7. Maintain persistence

Google "pass the hash" , "windows privilege escalation"   

or I just drop a ransomware on the file servers to lock all the user data , etc. etc...

Hi

In that case  what If I  go  for   without joining domain (Work station )

Thanks 

@simsim,

Better approach will be allow Remote Access over custom port instead of 3389.

Mayur

M

Hi,

I am trying to understand what are the pros and cons  .

If I give   without joining  domain is there any benefit 

Thanks 

@simsim 

The pro is easy to setup to allow remote access to your network using RDP..

The con is without sufficient protection and monitoring in place (ie MFA, patch system, log monitoring), once the hacker gains access via RDP.  The damage that can cause is unlimited.  

E

Agreed with @nextgenhappines . 

RDP over the internet  is most insecure way of providing access. Attackers can also exploit vulnerable RDP services to perform remote code execution and seize control over targets. 

Better approach would be allowing access over VPN. If not possible over VPN, give access over custom port instead of default port.

Hope it helps!

Mayur

M

Hi,

If  I  change the default port to a different what is the possibility  of  identifying   rdp service on that port by an attacker  

Thanks

@simsim ,

If you use custom port for RDP connection, then it decreases probability of hacking that port. As there're 65535 ports so it will be difficult for attacker to know the exact custom port. Technically porte will be less than 65535 as some of the ports are reserved still you get my point right..

My personal opinion would be not to open direct RDP access over the internet. But if  you don't have any other options like VPN and still you want to open it, then go for above option of custom port.

Mayur

M

The whole "obscure RDP by changing the port" thing doesn't really work anymore, and hasn't for probably a decade. Will it take additional time for someone to scan your public-ip and actually discover the port, sure. Since you aren't using the default of 3389 (and hopefully nothing near that, as many scanners will include 3389+- 15 ports) then you won't get picked up by some scanning because they are only looking for the easy targets.

You will still eventually be scanned and picked up and known to be running RDP on a non-common port. It's not like a port scan is a difficult thing to do, and we have organizations that exists to scan the internet and publish all open ports. Once you open up RDP, even on non-default ports, you've opened up RDP to the outside world. 

• 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!