Recommended cable length for HA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Recommended cable length for HA

Not applicable

I'm unable to determine from the tech-docs if PAN has a recommended (or suggested) cable length for those cases where the HA ports are directly connected via crossover cable. Does anyone have any intel on this topic? I've set-up many HA pairs and when using directly-connected HA ports via crossover I typically use a 6' cable. I'm working at a place that uses 1' crossover cables for other out-of-band communications and their standard would dictatate that I use "their" cables on the firewalls. This is probably an old Check Point ghost of mine but "back then" the crossover cables between firewalls were to be at least 3'.

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you.

Tommy

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

I have 30 pairs of PA-500 firewalls running with 0.3M straight-through cables between the two ports elected for HA (eth1/4 & eth1/5).  I've not had any issues so far with this during their year of deployment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

HA Cable should not be greater than 100 meter.

L3 Networker

I have 30 pairs of PA-500 firewalls running with 0.3M straight-through cables between the two ports elected for HA (eth1/4 & eth1/5).  I've not had any issues so far with this during their year of deployment.

L7 Applicator

There is no PA length requirements on the cable.  Only the standard Ethernet limits for the applicable media apply.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Hi Steven, Normal Ethernet standard should not be applied exactly to HA cables because HA is delay sensitive.

If cables are lengthier than, you are supposed to play with timers.

As long as you are within the latency needs you are fine.  And you certainly don't need the minimum length cable standard mentioned from Checkpoint.

My point is this is not a custom standard but an ethernet connection.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!