Registering a PA-850 (won't allow me to register the device)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Registering a PA-850 (won't allow me to register the device)

L0 Member

Hello everyone, 

My company recently purchased a used PA-850 from an Ebay listing. I have been trying to register the device so I can update the OS Version.

However, when we attempt to register the PA-850, the system throws an error saying it is unable to find the serial number. 

Is this because the device is registered to another account already? Or do you have any other thoughts on why and then how to overcome this issue? 

Thank you,

Chris Hazell
Enet Solutions
Tech Ops Manager
chrish@enetusa.com
949-242-8083
3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi Chris

If the SN was in the database, it would show as Registered to Another User or account (or some similar message)

I may or may not be bearer of bad news, but sometimes, when ppl don't want their FWs registered anymore, they can fill out a form to have it "decommissioned", which essentially deletes the FW from the master database of ALL serial numbers.  Maybe this is what is going on. 

In addition, you should reach out to PANW technical support, as there is a  "gray market" fee for any FWs that have been purchased outside of approved reseller channels (Ebay purchases constitute gray market).  The FW serial may be just a  temporary hold (making stuff up here) until the FW is vetted to be licensed. 

There could be multiple reasons, and it is my recommendation that you go to the source, as they may be able to tell you the history of the serial number, what company owned it.  You may also want to get ahold of the Ebay and the seller and get a Square Trade ticket opened up as well.

Good Luck.

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the reply and information. I will reach out to PANW technical support to see if they can start to look into it and point me in the right direction to have it registered. Hopefully it works out and it's not too difficult. 

Thank you again for the reply!

Chris Hazell
Enet Solutions
Tech Ops Manager
chrish@enetusa.com
949-242-8083

@enet_hazell,

So this is actually one of the major issues with gray-market PAN hardware, and why it essentially becomes a poor idea to buy outside of proper channels. I'm sorry to say that the cost associated with re-certification of that device is likely going to be north of what you're looking to spend. To actually get access to PAN-OS imagines, you'll need to go through the certification process for the device and purchase a new support contract for the device before you'll have access to the images. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!