Running Captive Portal with no SSL/Certificate

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Running Captive Portal with no SSL/Certificate

Not applicable

Hello

I am running Captive portal successfully with HTML/POST based authentication. However as I only have a self signed certificate this generates a warning in the users browser.

There is no requirement to encrypt the username/password submit to the portal in this implementation!

How can I run the Captive Portal without encryption on port 80?

Regards

Andreas Leknes

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

Hi...We support Captive Portal only in encrypted mode (SSL) to protect the user credentials.  Please submit a feature request to your local Palo Alto SE if you need Captive Portal in the clear with no encryption.

May I recommend that you consider obtaining a valid SSL certificate and apply it to the redirect host in Captive Portal.  The valid cert will resolve the SSL warning.  Thanks.

Allright.

Can you recommend a vendor who will provide a valid certificate for a private IP address without full organizational validation?

Not applicable

could you not use digicert with a ucc and add a san name?

I believe you can purchase an SSL cert for a domain,say captive.mycompany.com.  On your internal DNS server, have captive.mycompany.com resolve to the IP address of the redirect host.

Also if you have your own CA server, you could have the cert issue there.  Thanks.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!