Schedule Restart of Firewall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Schedule Restart of Firewall

L1 Bithead

Is there any web/gui interface option to schedule a reboot/restart of a PA 3000 series firewall running 8.1.5?  Any command line level option?  We'd like to restart the firewalls middle of the night without IT being awake to do so.

Mike

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@mlarish,

This is where the API and a script would come in handy to complete the task for you. However I have to ask, why are you looking to restart the firewall on a schedule on a regular basis? 

Sorry for the delay in the reply.  I typically like to restart all devices we have, some more often than others.  Microsoft based systems get restarted weekly by script.  Switches about every 6 months to a year.  I'd like to restart the firewall once a month or so...

The firewall restart desire started about a year or two ago when under previous versions, it would get a little squirrely after about 2 months of up-time.

I haven't noticed that problem with the more recent versions however but restarting periodically is usually a good thing.

@mlarish,

Okay. We'll I would personally recommend that this not be something you do in the middle of the night for a variety of reasons, primarily the fact that if the auto-commit process fails or a dependent process fails to start properly your firewall will be unaccessible until someone in the IT staff can take a look at it. 

That being said, the REST url that you would use the do something like this is below. You could then use either Powershell or a Python Requests script to actually do this on a scheduled basis. 

/api/?type=op&cmd=<request><restart><system></system></restart></request>

• 3 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!