Security rule for url filtering - best practices?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Security rule for url filtering - best practices?

L0 Member

I would like to know what is the impact, if any, when configuring a security policy with allow action and associate with a url filtering profile if we use application as any or application set to web-browsing.

I understand the url filtering is only applicable to web-browser traffic by default, but i want to understand what is the best thing to do and what impact come from a wrong choice.

Note that this rule goal is not to allow or block traffic. It is goal is to only select traffic from a specific source address (or group) and apply a previous defined url filtering profile to it.

1 REPLY 1

L3 Networker

Hello Vladimir,

URL filtering is triggered when there is a web-browsing or SSL traffic traversing the device, regardless of what you specify in the Application section of the security policy.

I would argue that it is best practice to specify web-browsing (and/or SSL) as the permitted application(s), but this only helps to lock down that security policy further; it is not a requirement for the URL filtering to be triggered.

Hope this helps.

tasonibare

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!