Service port to application help

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Service port to application help

L4 Transporter

Hello Experts

We migrated Juniper netscreen firewall to PA. I am just struggling to make application based policies. User just send the ports to make security policies. Like:

1- Allow port tcp 1549 on mysql db

2- Allow https://ebs:8000

How I can handle this to put application only?

Kindly help me with best practice with PA

Regards,

GR

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Just create a policy with application and service as those specific port (application any, service tcp1549), run it for few hours|days|weeks and review the traffic log to check what application(s) are getting identify.   Once you are comfortable, create another rule with those application(s) identify and service port (for example, application mysql, service tcp 1549 {since mysql default port is tcp 3306}) and place the newly created specific application rule on the existing application any, service specific port rule.   Check again if the newly created rule missed any application and repeat the process until you are comfortable, and disable the service only rule.

View solution in original post

@ghostrider   That is correct.  Hope this helps..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Just create a policy with application and service as those specific port (application any, service tcp1549), run it for few hours|days|weeks and review the traffic log to check what application(s) are getting identify.   Once you are comfortable, create another rule with those application(s) identify and service port (for example, application mysql, service tcp 1549 {since mysql default port is tcp 3306}) and place the newly created specific application rule on the existing application any, service specific port rule.   Check again if the newly created rule missed any application and repeat the process until you are comfortable, and disable the service only rule.

You are the man ! So If I understand correctly, the "specific application - rule", I need to put above the "any application - rule" and see if "any application - rule" still getting hit? If not then I can delete this. Right?

@ghostrider   That is correct.  Hope this helps..

thank you

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!