Setting Up PPPoE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Setting Up PPPoE

L0 Member

Hi All,

Having a little trouble in setting up a PPPoE connection.

Does anyone have a working config they are able to share with me as to how the Virtual Router is configured, the L3 interfaces etc as well as the outbound and inbound NAT'ing as this IP on the PPPoE connection will be dynamic.

Many Thanks

Marc

12 REPLIES 12

L4 Transporter

Hi Marc,

I have sent you a draft document, which will get posted on Knowledgepoint once finalised.

High level:

VR points to the Interface

NAT Uses Dynamic Pool referencing the Interface

L3 Interface configured, then enabled for PPPoE IP Address.  Then add Username and Password for the connection.  Advanced settings if you need them.

Thanks

James

L3 Networker

Attached is a copy from a working PPPoE configuration.

Thanks for the help, I have not tested it yet but I have the configurations loaded.Smiley Happy

One other question I have regarding NAT'ing, we are hosting our mail servers internally....

On our standard DSL line we would have a static Public IP address, with the wireless solution we have had to install temporarily the public ip address is now dynamic.

My current inbound NAT with STATIC IP DSL working rule would be:

"SMTP Mail PDC" {
  from untrust;
  to untrust;
  source any;

destination "FW PUBLIC IP";
  service "Services PDC";
  disabled no;
  description "Desktop PDC Mail connector";
  destination-translation {
    translated-address DESKTOPPDC;
  }
}

How would I (if it is possible) change the same NAT rule for a Dynamic Public IP address to NAT SMTP to an internal server.

If I select "Destination Address" to "Any" and commit I get the following:

• device: nat rule 'SMTP Mail PDC': Mismatch destination address translation range
  • Failed to parse nat policy

Many Thanks

Marc

Try configuring the NAT using the destination interface. as with the example in my earlier attachment.

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hi Marc,

We do not currently support destination NAT based on an interface.  This scenario would be configured by using a standard destination NAT rule and updating the address when the dynamically assigned IP address changes (this shouldn't happen too frequently).

Thanks,

Nick Campagna

Hi James,

Can you please send to me a copy of the guide to me as well?

I am having some issue with the PPPoE configuration route.

Please kindly send to my email sksam@originex.com.my

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Sam

L0 Member

I'm trying to setup PPPOE via UK ISP (BT/Plus Net).  I have the previous config from the other router and need to apply it.  at the moment I'm getting "No PPPoE Offer received".

Hi Carl,

Is it definitely PPPoE coming from the BT Router?  I have found it to be PPPoA to the router and then DHCP from the router to the LAN.  But maybe the plusnet service is different?

Thanks

James

The current netgear (which I'm replacing) has a PPPoE setup to the BT fibre box.

Hi Carl,

I believe, from prior experience, the BT Infinity PPPoE uses a blank password.  If that is also the case you have, you need to put a 'space' in the password field.

If not, then can you send me (you have my email) your config and I'll take a look.

Thanks

James

Not applicable

Hi,

I've the same issue: constantly I receive the message: "No PPPoE Offer received".

Currently a juniper SSG-5, hanging on it: and this device can immediately setup the PPPoE connection.

I tried combination active or passive, but still allways the same message.

How can you troubleshoot the ppp negotiation over ethernet?

Is there documentation on that?

thanks,

Guy

Can you please send me this document?

• 12 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!