Shutting down/disabling subinterfaces

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Shutting down/disabling subinterfaces

Not applicable

I am very new to the PANOS world so I will apologize in advance if this is obvious, however my search of documentation and knowledebase did not yield anything. I have been looking for a way to administratively shut down sub interfaces. Is this possible? While it's easy enough to shutdown a physical interface by assigning it's link-state we're not seeing a way to do the same for an individual sub-interface.

11 REPLIES 11

L5 Sessionator

Hi Scourge,

We do not have an option of shutting down a sub interface as its logical in nature. We could however, select "none" zone for the sub-interface or "none" virtual router or both, if you do not want traffic to ingress/egress via this sub interface.

Hope this helps

BR,

Karthik

L6 Presenter

Hi,

Subinterfaces are logical interfaces and they do not have link state as I  know.

Why do you need that option ?

It's a very useful feature when you are replacing existing equipment for example. The ability to disable a subinteterface would allow you to assign and commit an ip address that would potentially conflict with an existing piece of equipment. When you're ready to cut over you can just disable the interfaces on the old equipment and enable them on the PA firewall. This is why there's a concept of administrative shutdown in the cisco world for example.

You have a valid point, but we do not have that feature as of today on the box. You can contact your Sales Engineer for this enhancement request and he can apply one for you on your behalf. Till then you have to work around it with the steps that I mentioned before.

BR,

Karthik

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback!

Has there been any advance on this?

Last message was 2013.

Moreover if I use the work around and set my subinterface into Zone = None, change the VR:

Will the interface still respond to packets?

E.g. ARP, ping etc?

I am replacing old FW with new Palo and I need to be sure even with above measures taken that there will be no effect of duplicating the existing live interface

Thanks for any reply

L0 Member

I'm facing the same situation right now. I want to replace the old FWs with the new Palo Alto FWs. So, I need to disable an exiting sub-interface on the old FWs and enable it on the new FWs. Select "none" for the sub-interface zone or "none" for the virtual router, or both it will take time for me. So, shutdown sub interfaces would make it easy.

L4 Transporter

Same here - I was going to hot-cut a 3-tier infrastructure into one cluster but I just got told yesterday I need to do it one tier at a time.  I guess the zone workaround is about the same amount of but I don't feel comfortable with the zone option.  I guess I'm old school, lol.

Edit: What about duplicate IP addresses?  Does the zone workaround completely take it out of routing & ARP'ing?  Since I'm moving multiple VLANs' gateways from one firewall to another there's the potential for IP address conflicts.

L4 Transporter

FYI, I mentioned this to a support engineer and he said just remove the IP address and leave the zone & VR alone.

L0 Member

I have found the only simple option to remove the VLAN assignment from the trunk on the switch side.

L2 Linker

Neither solutions work for me on Panorama 10.2.4-h4 & PA-460 with Pan-OS 10.2.3 -0 the FW doesn't accept the sub0interface without IP, VR or Zone...

we told the customer to @kprakash 's idea - waiting on results

Please mark helpful responses, so others know as well
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!