slow GUI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

slow GUI

L1 Bithead

Hi,

why my GUI is soo slow ? I have to wait 10-15 sec for new clicked tab to open. (Main Menu on top)

Does anyone of you have the same problem?

My PA is PA-2020, software version 4.0.3

9 REPLIES 9

L5 Sessionator

Some users have reported slow response on the WebUI and our engineers have addressed that issue in the next major release.  You may want to experiment with different browsers to see if you can get an improved response.

I had better success upgrading from 4.0.3 to 4.0.5 with both IE and Firefox. GUI is definitely more stable as far as refreshing and navigating.

I've also experienced a memory leak in 4.0.3 recently which caused my 2020 to reboot, thankfully the passive device in the HA set took over with no downtime - so you may want to upgrade regardless.

I would recommend Google Chrome as the browser to use for Palo Alto management.  I'm running 4.0.3/4.0.5 and I use Chrome for all of the management.  While I wouldn't call it speedy, I do think it performs better than IE and Firefox.

Just my two cents.

I completely agree with Chrome being faster. I was using IE but it was painful and then switched to Chrome having also tried Firefox and now I do all my PAN management with Chrome.

GUI speed really does need to be improved though. I had a very painful demo with my Boss who only uses IE and he had just signed off buying these new boxes so to see a slow interface didn't go down too well.

L3 Networker

Is chrome faster? Absolutely! However I've had to go back to using firefox because when I used chrome, many changes I made resulted in losing all settings. I noticed that when adding a site to be blocked, for example, and clicking OK, PaloAlto took some seconds to respond, so, thinking it didn't "take", clicking OK a second time resulted in losing all the settings. I noticed (in all browsers but especially with chrome) that any popup settings window loads over a default blank template. The time between the rendering of the settings and the default template underneath, in chrome, was very obvious.

I click OK and the window with changes dissapears but the default template is still present for one or two seconds after that. I have had to revert back a few times because of lost settings. It's sad because when using Firefox or IE the GUI responds like molasses.

Thanks,

Larry

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I'm running 2 PAN-500 one with 4.0.5 and one with 4.0.8 and there seems to be absolutely no improvements in GUI-performance

Opening the dash-board takes 20 sec to complete, switching to one of the other tabs drives me crazy.

Not really usable anymore ...

Is there any hope ?

Franz

What about 4.1.4?

Palo Alto Networks Guru

We are constantly working to improve the UI speed.  4.0.9 fixed some memory leaks and improved commit times for many customers with large rule-bases.  The 4.1 release has been received by the customer community as being faster in terms of UI responsiveness.  We made some improvements to the way the pages load, caching, and leaned the code-base.  We will continue to work on making the UI as snappy as possible. 

To be fair to Palo, the GUI has improved quite a bit in newer releases. Now flicking between the different types of polices can be done quite quickly. Policy installations are a lot better though every so often I get a situation where it will get to 99% and after I while I go to check on it and it's actually ended my session and wants me to log in again.

I regularly get problems with the auto adjustment of columns, but I can't say I do that much - perhaps because it normally hangs.

UKRB

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!