slow response UI on PA 4.0.x

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

slow response UI on PA 4.0.x

L3 Networker

Hi all..

UI of PAN 4.x seems to very slow compared than previous version that PAN 3.1.x.
One of prospective customer has complained about poor response.

It need 6~8 secs to when move between tabs.

And when he click another menu within same tab, it also need 4~5sec.

i attached his test result.

Do you have any good idea to improve UI performance(response speed)?

(Note: the demo customer is using PA-2020. S/W Ver.4.0.1)

Thansk,

Eugene.

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

I'm using a PA4020 and although this is the first PA device I've ever used, on 4.0.1, I've also noticed that it's almost painful to manage.  Even doing a commit, I walked to the restroom, got a cup of coffee, and when  I came back, it took a few more moments before it completed.

I realize, at least I've been told, that the management sluggishness is not related to the actual traffic and processing of security rules.  That's a umm, good thing, because it it wasn't, we would have definately returned these boxes immediately.  Thankfully my immediate manager doesn't have to deal with the sluggish behavior or I wouldn't be using them now...

We had similar issues when we upgraded to 4.0.x.  We were using IE to connect. Once we swapped to Firefox, the latency was immediately reduced! I know this doesn't explain why 3.1.x was faster, but it helped us work around the "issue". Just a suggestion.

lifenethealth wrote:

I'm using a PA4020 and although this is the first PA device I've ever used, on 4.0.1, I've also noticed that it's almost painful to manage.  Even doing a commit, I walked to the restroom, got a cup of coffee, and when  I came back, it took a few more moments before it completed.

I realize, at least I've been told, that the management sluggishness is not related to the actual traffic and processing of security rules.  That's a umm, good thing, because it it wasn't, we would have definately returned these boxes immediately.  Thankfully my immediate manager doesn't have to deal with the sluggish behavior or I wouldn't be using them now...

I find not a whole lot of difference between a commit on a PA2050 and my old Checkpoint cluster.

It depends how many changes you make at once - the more changes, the longer it takes - but remember, the PAN is pre-processing the commit to confirm it complies and doesn;t break anything, *and* keeping the dataplane running while it activates the changes.

Having said all that, they're definitely not as fast as, say, a PIX or ASA o save a config - but then again, the PA devices work a whole lot better. 🙂

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!