Sofware Upgrade broken? "An active license is required for this feature"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Sofware Upgrade broken? "An active license is required for this feature"

L0 Member

I have a bunch of PA440s and some of them cannot be upgraded as I keep getting an "An active license is required for this feature" message when clicking on Check Now under Device > Software. Device is correctly licensed and activated on the support portal, NTP is activated and sync'd. Dynamic Updates can be retrieved from the Cloud but PAN-OS cannot.

(I have already tried clicking on "Retrieve license keys from license server " with no success)

Current PAN-OS version: 10.1.3

Device Certificate Status: Valid

Anyone having the same problem? 

pcolomes_0-1653273748081.png 

pcolomes_0-1653273908206.png

pcolomes_1-1653273972495.png

7 REPLIES 7

L1 Bithead

I'm having a somewhat similar issue - I can't retrieve licensing or check for updates on one of my pa 440 that we set up today. We have another 440 (they are in HA) and it had no issues.

When did your issues start?

L2 Linker

currently have a call logged for this. accidently deleted a profile for  "Software NGFW Credits" that had our Panorama and log collectors on it. Have been able to get support to reattach serials (with cpuid and uuid to be able to be migrated). we migrated all serials to another deployment profile for management and everything took except our primary panorama. Same message as above. Shows as licensed ok and yes can get app updates etc just not panOS updates. Awaiting what fix might be needed.....running 10.1.6 here....

L2 Linker

Fix for our situation with the new Software NGFW credits and Deployment profiles and active license message (once Palo fixed restoring serials in backend - with matching UUID and CPUID and we attached again to another deployment profile that was active) was to run the software check from the CLI not from the GUI.

This fixed up the state that Panorama was in despite license showing as ok after license update and GUI throwing the non active license message in the software tab.

Hope this helps someone.....try CLI update first post license checks and then GUI post this if the CLI looks ok.

I had the same issue and ran "request system software check" from the cli and fixed the error message. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

By default it will use the management port to try and grab the licenses and updates etc. Does the traffic log show why its getting denied? Could be a lot of things, please check the configuration for the following: valid DNS servers, valid time servers, traffic allowed out the management port to the internet, you are bypassing ssl decryption.

Regards,

@jcoyle2 thanks, this worked for me too

Thanks for tip. Worked as advertised. Much appreciated!

• 7 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!