Static Route Removal

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Static Route Removal

L2 Linker

Default route via ISP-A (primary) has not yet recovered, even though the monitored IP address (DNS server of ISP-A) is already rechable via the interface connected to ISP-A router. (tested via ping source x.x.x.x host y.y.y.y)

I have seen the logs from previous months that the firewall has detected path failure and was able to recover. So I assume the setup is correct?

Any other troubleshooting that I can do? Or any other things to double check on my setup?

15 REPLIES 15

L2 Linker

Update on this.

Current routing table is still via ISP-B.
Upon using traceroute source x.x.x.x host y.y.y.y, I saw that the DNS Server of ISP-A is being reached via ISP-B.

Do I need to put a specific static route pointing to DNS Server of ISP-A via ISP-A gateway?

Do you have separate interfaces connected to ISP-A and B?

How are your static routes configured? Sounds like path monitoring. What are you using for source interfaces on each route?

What is the metric configuration on each route?

if you are monitoring ISP A , then yes, the route for the tracking of that DNS(A) would have to be forced through ISP A only using the static routes.

~HTH 

Hello,

You can also specify the interface. Hopefully each ISP has their own?

Regards,

Hi All,

Here's my setup.

ISPA (eth1/1) and LAN interfaces on one VR1

ISPB (eth1/2) on another VR2

VR1 Routes:

-Default route  (defaul admin distance, metric 10) w/ path monitoring (Monitored IP - DNS of ISP-A, source eth1/1, other settings default)

-Backup default route to next VR (default admin distance, metric 20)

-Specific /32 route of DNS of ISP-A to force it via ISP-A Gateway.

-Tunnel Routes

VR2 Routes:
-Defaul route pointing to ISPB gateway

-Return routes to LAN segments (via next VR1)

I just added the specific /32 route going to DNS os ISP-A via the ISP-A Gateway.

ping source eth1/1 (ISP-A port) host DNS of ISPA, fails now. 

Update:

Stand-alone test worked fine.
Can reach the internet and the DNS of ISPA (monitored IP in path monitoring of default route)

So I guess the problem is on the PA? Anything that I need to double check?
Checking from previous logs, firewall was able to detect path failure and was also able to recover.

Hello,

Do you have any dynamic routing between the VR's? Perhaps that is how it learned the routes? But sounds like you have it solved with the static /32 routes. I also use them to be super specific on certain destinations for monitring and dynamic routing.

Regards,

Hi @OtakarKlier,

No Dynamic Routes between VR's.

Adding the specific /32 static route did not resolve the problem.

Path Monitoring status is stil down.

Hello,

Sorry I misread that. when you do the ping, do the traffic logs show anything useful or is the traffic allowed? Also is ISP A in an upstate? What about the routes in the Forwarding table, are they correct?

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/web-interface-help/network/network-virtual-...

There are two tables, the route table and forwarding table, the traffic will flow per the forwarding table.

Sorry if i missed something in an earlier post.

@OtakarKlier no worries.

Port Connected to ISPA is in up state. No logs is generated as I am using the eth1/2 as the source of the ping to reach the ISP-A DNS Server.

Routes in the forwarding table:
Default Route is via next VR (ISPB VR)

ISP-A DNS Server via ISP-A Gateway

OK, I think I understand now. What happens if you ping ISP A DNS from port 1/1?

@OtakarKlier

Port 1/1 - ISP B
Port 1/2 - ISP A

ping 'port 1/1 IP' host 'ISP-A DNS IP' --- success

ping 'port 1/2 IP' host 'ISP-A DNS IP' --- fail

Hello,

I would say double check the FIB table and traffic logs as this kinda makes sense to me, but I could be wrong. Meaning that since you have the /32 route to the DNS of ISP A, when you try to ping from the other ISP B interface, its trying to route internnally and out ISP A interface. In the VR or ISP B put in a /32 route to ISP A DNS and I bet it will reply.

Regards,

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!