System disk space issue on PA 5050

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

System disk space issue on PA 5050

L2 Linker

PA 5050s on PAN OS 7.1.7 in HA pair  active/passive mode  always have high systme disk space issue.  

this is output from active one- 

========

show system disk-space

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md2 3.8G 3.4G 269M 93% /
/dev/md5 7.6G 2.9G 4.4G 40% /opt/pancfg
/dev/md6 3.8G 1.9G 1.7G 54% /opt/panrepo
tmpfs 2.0G 116M 1.9G 6% /dev/shm
cgroup_root 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /cgroup
/dev/md8 198G 154G 35G 82% /opt/panlogs

==========

I have to manually clear disk space by doing delete debug on dp/cp/mp. I see if I dont do this , both PAs in pair have port lights ON as if they are in active/active mode . TAC says that it is the issue with PAN OS 7.1.x & asked me to upgrade PAN OS 8.0.x . I dont want to do this as I am not prepared to work with PAN OS 8.0 

Any suggestions how to deal with this issue on PAN OS 7.1.7 ?

9 REPLIES 9

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Psrivastava,

Depending on who you get in TAC simply being a version behind the latest they'll say to update. I would update to 7.1.11 or 7.1.12 and see if the issue is still present. I've yet to read about any reports about this issue, and would be hesitant to say that this is a issue specifically with 7.1.* that wasn't backported as it would be a wider reported issue. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Psrivastava,

Also why are you generating a large amount of debug files in particular? 

Thanks Bpry for responding , I will check by upgrading it to 7.1.11.

Which log you are referring for debug files ? If that is not recommended  do you have information for default settings or any KB ? BTW  active/active HA was not due to this issue as I saw that in HA Setup Passive Link State was selected as auto instead  of shutdown. So this is not related. 

Does anoybody know what dev/md3 disk is being used for ?

Could it be logs on md3 ?

I have disk storage issue.

Same md3 almost full in 7.1.11, should a fix on 8.x

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md3 3.8G 3.4G 271M 93% /
/dev/md5 7.6G 3.9G 3.4G 54% /opt/pancfg
/dev/md6 3.8G 2.3G 1.4G 64% /opt/panrepo
tmpfs 2.0G 116M 1.9G 6% /dev/shm
cgroup_root 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /cgroup
/dev/md8 198G 142G 46G 76% /opt/panlogs

@allenmert,

MD3 should be one of the log partitions. Seeing as the logs will rotate and if the volume fills up will simply rotate the logs this isn't that big of a concern. 

when you say

simply rotate the logs t

does this mean old logs are overwritten?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

@MP18,

Correct. Unless you've modified default values, the firewall will simply remove older logs to make way for the new logs coming in. 

Many Thanks for answering Again!

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!