tcp ping from a firewall command line?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

tcp ping from a firewall command line?

L4 Transporter

From the command line of a next generation firewall i can use 'ping host blah'.  Does the CLI have a command to ping a destination via TCP?  Or some other tool to do the same?

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @JimMcGrady

I am not aware of any equivalent of TCP ping in PAN-OS and I do not believe such feature exists. When I have to do some basic verification of reachability from Firewall against certain TCP port, I am using SSH. For Example below sample:

PavelK_1-1639725503085.png

When I get a response that it was closed by remote host, I know there was a response. I know it is limited and completely corresponding with your requirement, but this might be one of the workaround.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JimMcGrady 

You can use this command from cli. ping host 4.2.2.2.  this uses mgmt interface for ping

or. ping source 1.1.1.1 host 4.2.2.2.   this will use source address 1.1.1.1 to ping 4.2.2.2

Regards

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!