Tech Support file guide

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Tech Support file guide

L4 Transporter

Hi All,

Does PAN offer a basic guide to troubleshooting using the tech support file e.g. which logs show what information etc?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Ben-Price,

PAN doesn't publish anything for end-users that goes over the tech support bundle. It's one of the things that you either learn from poking around the files or slowly work out through reviewing KB articles as you work through issues. I've never seen a non-internal document that actually lays out log file usage. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L2 Linker

Hi @Ben-Price 
Most hardware firewalls consist of a management plane and one or multiple dataplanes. Smaller platforms and VM-Series firewalls only have a management plane that runs the dataplane processes. Some larger platforms have an additional control plane, and Panorama does not have a dataplane. The below article may be of help to illustrate which daemons are responsible for which processes and corresponding daemon logs can be looked at.
https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000PLUeCAO

For smaller platform firewall and VM-series, daemon/process logs (both MP and DP) can be found in /var/log/pan directory.
For larger platforms (having separate DP and MP) MP logs can be found in /var/log/pan directory and DP logs in /opt directory.

L4 Transporter

Thanks @ahandoo, that will be useful. So there is no official guide from Palo Alto you are aware of?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Ben-Price,

PAN doesn't publish anything for end-users that goes over the tech support bundle. It's one of the things that you either learn from poking around the files or slowly work out through reviewing KB articles as you work through issues. I've never seen a non-internal document that actually lays out log file usage. 

L4 Transporter

OK thanks @BPry . Do you know if they supply anything to ASCs?

Hi @Ben-Price, I am not sure about any document provided to the ASCs surrounding this, however, ASCs normally go through the EDU-220 (Basic config related) and EDU-330 (Advance t-shoot; Intructor-led) training which would help them build their understanding for troubleshooting.

EDU-330: The Palo Alto Networks Firewall 10.1: Troubleshooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQy-09bg2IA

L4 Transporter

Thanks @ahandoo, I have my EDU-330 training coming up in a couple of weeks. It doesn't look like PAN provides any docs around this though. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!