Tenable Scan on Palo Alto firewall / Panorama

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Tenable Scan on Palo Alto firewall / Panorama

L4 Transporter

Hi All,

Are Tenable vulnerability scans (see below) on Palo Alto firewalls / Panorama resource intensive for the PA devices? Does this cause high DP or MP issues?

https://community.tenable.com/s/article/How-to-perform-a-compliance-scan-on-a-Palo-Alto-Firewall

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

@BPry @kiwi @SCantwell_IM Has anyone had any experience with this?

Community Team Member

Hi @Ben-Price ,

I have no experience with Tenable vulnerability scans but I'm pretty sure it depends on how you configure the scanning options.

I'm guessing that just a simple compliance check shouldn't be too bad ... that said, some scan plugins can cause a denial of service.

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I have never had an issue where a tenable scan caused issues with PAN operation or resource limits.

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Ben-Price,

Same as @OtakarKlier, I've never had a Tenable scan cause any issues with operations. I've never done a configuration scan with Tenable however, and from your linked article that is what you are setting up in this instance? If that's the case, I wouldn't expect the scan to really cause any issues. It'll likely just pull a copy of the configuration for rulebase analysis and do any setting checks via simple CLI/API access. 

L4 Transporter

@BPry @OtakarKlier @kiwi Thanks for your feedback here. 

I will clarify with the customer exactly which scan they are planning on using.

L6 Presenter

I have been dealing with Tenable and Forescout scans from our Infosec team and they have been rather brutal on a PA 3020, not so much in scanning the PA itself, but scanning through the PA to other networks (Trust to DMZ/VPN/etc.). The Tenable servers tend to generate thousands of connections per second (seeing 20k+ cps with 3-4 scanning servers) which hammers the DP CPU. 

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!