Threat False Positives?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Threat False Positives?

L3 Networker

Our threat logs are full of 'Fallout Exploit Kit Detection' this morning from many of our networks, although no actul issues have been found.

fallout.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

FYI,

8078 was just released that is suppose to address the issue. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

L3 Networker

Same here...I installed 8077 this morning when I get in after reading the email and I'm getting Fallout alerts like crazy. I don't have as many as you, but people just starting coming in.

2018-10-10 08_16_13-Panorama.png

-Brad

@bbilut @OGMaverick,

For the time being I would recommend rolling this back to 8076. The Fallout siganture has actually been around since 8074, but whatever modification PA has done to the signature is a tad to broad at the moment. 

I'm rolling back to 8076 and I'll report back what happens. I was getting a detection about every minute or multiple per minute with 8077.

Edit: 8076 seems to have stopped the mass amount of alerts.

-Brad

Hello,

Looks like this was the emergency update that came out last night:

image.png

I usually set my dynamic updates with a threshold that will allow the updates to bake since they have released bum updates in the past. I understand there are some environments where this is not possible.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/pan-os/threat-prevention/best-practices-for...

Regards,

I m rolling back to 8076 - and alers from IPS disappear.

L2 Linker

Yeah, we are also getting a lot of the Threat ID 30650 events.  All events seem to include a *.min.js or *.js file name.

I had the same files - *.js

I do the same... I'm usually a week behind because their updates have burnt me in the past several times. This one seemed urgent so I manually updated this morning. I guess that was a mistake.

-Brad

..Palo Alto - not often makes mistakes in signatures... but .... 🙂 it happend...

Agreed, no one is perfect. I usually have a 24 hour threshold on any new signatures for app/threat.

L0 Member

Same here. PaloAlto 5050 with Application and Threat Version 8077-5070.

Many critical threat log entrys with name-of-threatid eq 'Fallout Exploit Kit Detection' as false-positives.

L4 Transporter

I looked at the js files being flagged. there must be something in them that is a close match. since these are not critial .js files I am leaving the block in place for now. Has anyone reported this to PA yet?

I just opened a case with PA to see what they say. So far it's creating an issue for one website we use, blocking a particular js file from loading and rendering the website inoperable. 

FYI,

8078 was just released that is suppose to address the issue. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 17 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!