Threat log spammed with "Non-RFC Compliant DNS Traffic on Port 53/5353"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Threat log spammed with "Non-RFC Compliant DNS Traffic on Port 53/5353"

L3 Networker

A couple days ago, the threatvault added threat id 56505, and since then our threat log is getting spammed with the vulnerability type Non-RFC Compliant DNS Traffic on Port 53/5353 (informational). We use dnscrypt, and every single DNS request is now showing up in the threat log. First of all, is this a false positive? And if so, how do I prevent this from inundating my logs?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Maxstr,

@Maxstr wrote:

First of all, is this a false positive? And if so, how do I prevent this from inundating my logs?

No, it's not a false positive; it also isn't unexpected if you are utilizing dnscrypt. DNSCrypt is not RFC compliant, hence you are hitting a signature that makes perfect sense. If you don't want it to keep showing up in your logs, you'll need to make an exception for 56505 on your Vulnerability profile and set it to allow. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Maxstr,

@Maxstr wrote:

First of all, is this a false positive? And if so, how do I prevent this from inundating my logs?

No, it's not a false positive; it also isn't unexpected if you are utilizing dnscrypt. DNSCrypt is not RFC compliant, hence you are hitting a signature that makes perfect sense. If you don't want it to keep showing up in your logs, you'll need to make an exception for 56505 on your Vulnerability profile and set it to allow. 

L0 Member

Helo All,

In my case I dont have DNSDecry and I see  threat id 56112 .

It is possible I consider a false positive ?

@felcor 

It is not false positive. It is information message only.

https://threatvault.paloaltonetworks.com/?query=56505

Regards

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Name: Non-RFC Compliant DNS Traffic on Port 53/5353

What is the solution for this, and what RFC standard it is not cpmpliant? 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!