Tips to improve mgnt tasks in a PA-2020

Announcements

ATTENTION Customers, All Partners and Employees: The Customer Support Portal (CSP) will be undergoing maintenance and unavailable on Saturday, November 7, 2020, from 11 am to 11 pm PST. Please read our blog for more information.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

dieterb wrote:

But still, I fear PA will not act. By the time our issue-report is complete, I expect PA support to say "please upgrade to version X first" (what we just did because they told us to) ... to start all over again.

Been there, done that. At least twice.

I've got a 3020 in service at another location, and the difference in commit times is staggering - I can commit the config through *10* changes on the remote site before I get *one* change done on my central site's 2020's.

Software version doesn't make one bit of difference. If anything, it gets slower with software upgrades as they push more "features" into the base OS install/

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

darren.g I've seen cases where the performance is increased (a lot) by upgrading the PANOS version. Except introducing new features, Palo Alto is also improving their code and making it more efficient

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

bdeschut - I saw an improvement exactly *once* - when I upgraded from, I think, 4.1.6 to 4.1.8-h3 - management CPU went from 70% constantly with spikes to 100% to only having spikes to 70% every five minutes - and it's been that way *ever* since. That's not an improvement - that's simply a change in priority/frequency of the process which is causing the issue.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

darren.g wrote:

.... I understand why they won't make it customer upgradable like the PA500 (because you have to expose the power supply on the 2000 series)...

This, I sadly have to say, is typical American "no liability" nonsense.

Come on, we're all professionals here. Or we can find someone really easy who has the right certification to open te box. As if anyone would attempt a RAM upgrade on a box like that while it's running...

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Unfortunately the reality of it is Palo Alto Networks is headquartered in America, and the sue happy society we have makes corporate lawyers gun shy about letting customers open up the boxes they sell (rightfully so.. all it would take would be one person getting shocked and PA could have a huge lawsuit on their hands).

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Did anyone have any luck with this ?

So far, our support case is still open ... and has been quiet for some time :smileyconfused:

Highlighted
L0 Member

I am sad that this is still an issue, we are a small University, and are having this data-plane issue, we are biting the bullet and moving to the 3020, but its horribly painful, the last week we have had to reset the data-plane every couple hours...

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!