traffic segmenation affect app-id

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

traffic segmenation affect app-id

L4 Transporter

Hi

So I am working through a ssl decrypt issue with PA support. I am being told that because the stream is being segmented - so not coming as 1500mtu packets. the PA can't work out what the stream is.

The implication is that app-id doesn't work properly unless you have full 1500mtu packets.

I thnk my SE is agreeing - not 100% sure.

I am a bit lost on this, cause I wouldn't have though segmentaiton would cause a problem expect for if there was a timeout

3 REPLIES 3

L2 Linker

segmentation should only become an issue when there is such a large volume that the firewall is unable to properly reassemble the packets in a timely manner

you cold try to adjust the TCP MSS on the interface which could help prevent fragmentation, see if that solves the issue

well this is on a ssl hand shake the initial setup.

I go openssl s_client connect <ip>:443 

that fails. I have been working with support for a while now. and they are saying cause their might be some segmenation happening that could affect the firewall interpreting the ssl handshake as some of the packets are not being processed !

I was rather suprised.

I'd push for more information and better troubleshooting, maybe even escalation

Fragmentation shouldn't be a big issue

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!