Traffic stops hitting when one of two FQDN objects in policy not resolvable

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Traffic stops hitting when one of two FQDN objects in policy not resolvable

L3 Networker

There is a security rule with two FQDN objects used as destination. Along with that user group is configured and source/destination zones - nothing special.

There have been a couple of cases where traffic suddenly stops hitting the rule although everything seems to be in the place. It turns out on of the two FQDN address objects is not resolving anymore (which is fine as it was removed from the DNS) and as soon as removing that unresolvable object, traffic to other FQDN (which resolved just fine) destination started working and traffic hit the rule correctly.

Not sure if that was solved by really removing the unresolvable object or just committing something would do the trick as well (as in both cases commit included removing the object). Haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet.

Have someone seen something like this? Ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

L6 Presenter

Which PANOS is this? I have multiple rules with multiple FQDN destination objects where one or more has expired and I haven't seen that behavior.

L3 Networker

10.1.6-h3

This could be some combination of other aspects as by making such a setup intentionally (rule with expired FQDN object) I couldn't recreate the issue.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!