Trigger throttling based on traffic?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Trigger throttling based on traffic?

L4 Transporter

I have heard of others, instead of blocking torrent traffic, allowing it.  When it is detected it someone how throttles ALL traffic from that client until the torrent traffic is stopped.

As best I can tell we do not have that option of available with the AP.  Correct?

Thanks,

Bob

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L2 Linker

Hello Bob,

Please refer to this document for configuring qos to limit bandwidth for bittorrent or any other applications. Qos policy can be configured to make it applicable to source user and application as shown below in screenshot#2 (youtube as example).

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-3439

I had once tested in the lab for youtube application, please refer to below screenshots as sample configuration. In your setup, you might want to change the guaranteed and max egress bandwidth per requirements. Similarly, you can setup for bittorrent as application.

QOS_1.pngQoS_2.pngQoS_3.pngQoS_4.png

Please also refer to this thread - Implementing QoS

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

Hi Bob,

Yes you can do that with QoS configuration. You can configure a class, for eg. Class 6 as max 0.01 and guaranteed 0.01 (Network -> Network Profiles -> QoS Profile), then apply the class on QoS Policy (Policy -> QoS) for bittorrent application. Firewall will allow the traffic (if allowed by security policy), but the transfer would be brutally slow and user might give up. Hope this helps. Thank you.

L2 Linker

Hello Bob,

Please refer to this document for configuring qos to limit bandwidth for bittorrent or any other applications. Qos policy can be configured to make it applicable to source user and application as shown below in screenshot#2 (youtube as example).

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-3439

I had once tested in the lab for youtube application, please refer to below screenshots as sample configuration. In your setup, you might want to change the guaranteed and max egress bandwidth per requirements. Similarly, you can setup for bittorrent as application.

QOS_1.pngQoS_2.pngQoS_3.pngQoS_4.png

Please also refer to this thread - Implementing QoS

Hope this helps.

L6 Presenter

Hi BobW,

QOS will work. You can follow bellow steps.

1. Classify traffic Policy > QOS > specify traffic and its QOS values

2. Creat QOS policy Network > QOS

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L4 Transporter

Indeed, QoS is the way to go.

L4 Transporter

BobW,

Not sure about your intentions here. If your aim is to not allow the bit-torrent traffic in and out of your network, why throttle it when you can very much easily block the traffic. Unless I am missing something here.

Just wanted to understand the reason behind throttling Bit-torrent traffic.

Thanks

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!