Unable to add virtual disk to Panorama

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Unable to add virtual disk to Panorama

L3 Networker

Hello,

We are running Panorama VM release 8.1.8 un Panorama mode.

We have a 2 TB disk for logging and we would like to add a second 2 TB disk.

The new virtual disk has been added to the VM, and after reboot is seen as sdb in Panorama (sdc is already working) :

> show system disk details

Name   : sdb
State  : Present
Size   : 1887436 MB
Reason : Admin disabled

Name   : sdc
State  : Present
Size   : 1992294 MB
Reason : Admin enabled

I have already tried to enable this new partition but it still doesn't work :

> request system disk add sdb
Executing this command will delete all data on the drive being added. Do you want to continue? (y or n)

Operation: Addition of the sdb disk is already in progress.

Run 'show system disk details' to see the status

Any idea to make this virtual disk enabled in Panorama ? Do you know if any messages are logged regarding this ?

Regards,

Laurent

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Laurent_Dormond,

Hi big is actually your first disk? I am asking because Panorama has limitation that if your first disk is smaller than 2T you will not be able to attach additional disks:

Add a Virtual Disk to Panorama on an ESXi Server

In all modes, the first logging disk on the Panorama VM must be at least 2TB in order to add additional disks. 
If the first logging disk is smaller than 2TB, you will be unable to add additional disk space.

Due to some limitation of the orchestrator we are using, we are able to attach only 2000GB disk to a VM. But since 2000GB is actually around 1.93T we were not able to attach additional disk to our Panoramas.

Hi            

Thanks for your reply.

I will have to double-check this with our virtualization team, but I think that we may be facing same issue.

Regards,

Laurent

Hello,

Indeed we had a limitation of 2000 GB (and not 2 TB) Virtual Disk. That explains why our Virtual Disks are just under 2 TB, thus preventing us to add new disks, following the KB.

Now this limitation is no more active, allowing us to add Virtual Disk of maximum 4 TB.

Do you know wether Panorama allow virtual disk extension ? For example if we extend our current 2000 GB virtual disk to 4 TB, Panorama will be able to see and use this new disk space ?

Regards,

@Laurent_Dormond You can not extend the disk to more than 2TB. The disks need to be exactly 2TB and you can add upto 12. Even if you somehow mange to get it to work with incorrect disk size, it will cause you unexpected problems as the one you already had. 

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/8-1/panorama-admin/set-up-panorama/set-up-the-panorama-vi...

Hi @BatD , @Laurent_Dormond,

I am really not sure what is the maximum size that you can add - due to our limitation I haven't work with disk bigger than 2000GB.

However reading the documentations I am not able to agree with @BatD:

Add a Virtual Disk to Panorama on an ESXi Server

In Panorama mode, you can add disk sizes larger than 2TB and Panorama will automatically create as many 2TB partitions as possible. 
For example, if disk sdc was 24TB, it will create 12 2TB partitions. These disks will be named sdc1-12.

Going back to your question - does Panorama allow extending the existing disk - I didn't manage to find any reference for this in the documents

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!