Unused Rules

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Unused Rules

L4 Transporter

There is a feature to highlight unused rules. If a rule goes from used to unused does that feature show it as unused and if so how long does it take to show it as unused?

11 REPLIES 11

L4 Transporter

a quick search like https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=unused+rules

the first 2 links say that Unused flag is reset when FW is rebooted. I think that answers your question.

L5 Sessionator

The unused rule are the security policy which are not used since last reboot. If a rule is used even once it will be marked as used.

To be more specific - this counter is reset when dataplane is restarted not full firewall.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

But if it never is used again will it always show are used? Based I what I read in other posts it will start showing used after the next reboot

I think it does answer my question.  So if a rule that was used at least once but never again, it won't show unsed till the next reboot

Firewall (or dataplane) restart will restart counter.

When traffic matches rule at least once after reboot then it shows up as used rule.

When rule has not matched starting from last reboot rule shows up as unmatched rule.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

L6 Presenter

Not exactly certain what you're looking for, but you might want to look into a tool called FireMon.

The UI of this tool replicates other product enviornments.  

FireMon has the ability to suggest rule combination changes.  Not only will it tell you when/last/how often a rule was used.  It gives you usage of objects within a specific rule.  (Something Palo UI won't do)

FireMon works with ASAs, CheckPoint, Palo...a wide varitey of platforms.

Here's what the report looks like:

FireMon.JPG

You can click each count and view specifics for each rule.

So a rule can go unused and show as used until its rebooted. So that would make sense why I have a rule that shows used since the last time I rebooted the FW on March 15  and no longer appears in the traffic monitor after March 20. That can be a little hard to clean up the firewall since randomly rebooting the firewall is not a very viable option. LOL

I haved looked at firemon and I love it but the budget here does not love it LOL

• 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!