Upgrade 3020 to new version?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrade 3020 to new version?

L4 Transporter

Hey guys,

There are two 3020s in HA that run 8.0.7

I'm wondering if I can upgrade to a new version in 8.1.X train? Or should I stay at 8.0.7?

Can someone share their experiences?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MPI-AE,

You should move to 8.0.14 or 8.0.15. The 8.1 code is getting very closed to being able to be generally recommended for deployments, but without knowing anything about the features you are using I'd still recommend you stay away from 8.1 just to ensure you don't run into any issues. 

@BPryWhich version do you run on your 3020 pair?

Can you tell me an approx. date when 8.1 will be recommended?

I don't run special features, Global Protect, URL Filter, the normal stuff I would say.

L4 Transporter

Hi @MPI-AE,

I think it is better to go with 8.0.13 , it is stable recommanded release, 8.0.15 is new and currently monitoring.

as 8.1 is recommanded only if you need to use a new feature introduced in 8.1.

@Abdul_Razaq
That actually isn’t correct. 8.0.15 is currently the recommended release for the 8.0 code base, and 8.1.6 is currently recommended for the 8.1 code base.

@MPI-AE,
8.1.6 would be recommended at this point in time if you want to go with 8.1. Keeping in mind that 8.1 still isn’t perfect, it has finally reached the point where I can recommend it to users who don’t have equipment to test their production configurations if you have a standard installation. Just plan an extended maintenance window for you to run validation checks once it’s installed so you have time to rollback to 8.0.15 if your standard installation isn’t as standard as you think.

@BPryWhich version do you run on your 3020s?

@MPI-AE,

The few 3020 pairs I have left are running 8.0.15 as I don't have a big reason to upgrade them to 8.1 just yet. My 5220 pairs however have for the most part been migrated to 8.1.6. Just keep in mind that 8.0 hits EOL on October 31, 2019; so if you don't have a large number of maintenance windows available to you throughout the year it may be worth going with 8.1.6 to avoid running an unsupported version later this year. 

@BPryBut you wrote that 8.1 isn't perfect yet so maybe I should wait until September 2019 to install 8.1 ?

Futhermore, if 8.0 hits EOL on October 2019, I can save myself the effort to upgrade to 8.0.15, since I have to upgrade to 8.1 anyhow.

@MPI-AE,

8.1.6 still has a larger list of known issues for folk running abnormal configurations; if you have a more straightforward configuration you likely won't fall under any of these. By all means though, best practice before installing any software update is looking through the release notes and deciding if it's going to work in your environment. 

It sounds like 8.1.6 would be a good canidate for your network, but again without actually knowing what features you are using I can't say you won't run into issues. 

Hello,

Unless there is a compelling reason to go to the 8.1 train (new feature, etc.), I would stay on 8.0 until you are comfortable with going to the 9.0 train (recently release, Dont go to it yet).

Just my 2 cents.

@OtakarKlierI think I can agree. I don't do anything until the end of life of 8.0.

Then I decide to either upgrade to 8.1.6 (or 8.1.8/8/9....) or to 9.X if there's a stable release then.

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!