Upgrade from 7.0.12 to 8.0.6-h3

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrade from 7.0.12 to 8.0.6-h3

L4 Transporter

Hi,

I have checked the PAN-OS upgrade document and find it bit confusing. Using standalone device. 

Can someone please confirm if the following upgrade path will be correct?

7.0.12 —> download 7.1.0 —> Install —> Reboot

Download 7.1.15 --> Install

Download 8.0.0 —> Install —> Reboot

Download 8.0.6-h3 —> Install —> Reboot

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Community Team Member

Hi @Farzana,

Using the following Best Practices document : Best-Practices-for-PAN-OS-Upgrade

It is best practice to always download and install the latest maintenance release.

So if you are running 7.0.12 it's best practice to download, install and reboot to 7.0.19 first.

Download and install 7.1.0 (base version).

Download and install 7.1.15, and reboot to complete the upgrade.

Save/export tech support and Device state and save named device config snapshots (this is in case downgrade is needed).

Download and install 8.0.0 (base version). (Reboot recommended as per Best Practices guide).

Download and install 8.0.6-h3, and reboot to complete the upgrade.

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

@kiwi

What if I am on 7.1.13 and want to upgrade to 8.x and I have deleted 7.1?

Hello,

You should be OK since the running version you are on has the files from the base code. It would just prevent you from failing back to any version of 7 unless you download it first. Even on a PA-200, I can keep several version of code without filling up the disk. so you should be safe to have 7.1.0, 7.13, 8.0.1, and 8.0.x at the same time.

Regards,

Community Team Member

Hi @jdprovine,

You can pick up halfway the process.

If you're on 7.1.13 and want to goto 8.x you can follow the best practices and install the latest maintenance release first :

Download and install 7.1.15 (or whichever version is latest in the 7.1.x branch), and reboot to complete the upgrade.

Save/export tech support and Device state and save named device config snapshots (this is in case downgrade is needed).

Download and install 8.0.0 (base version). (Reboot recommended as per Best Practices guide).

Download and install 8.0.6-h3, and reboot to complete the upgrade.

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

@OtakarKlier

I have deleted the base 7.1 to make more room

@kiwi

So it doesn't matter that I deleted 7.1 to make more disk space?

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!