URL blocking Web Advertisements with exceptions?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL blocking Web Advertisements with exceptions?

L4 Transporter

When i set our URL filter to block category 'web advertisements' it works as expected. However, it also blocks many of the results of Google and Bing searches. I understand that is because the results in question are web advertisements, strictly speaking.

Ideally i'd like to block inline advertisements whilst allowing results from Google/Bing searches - even if they are web ads.

If this isnt possible, how would i go about setting up exceptions for specific *.site.com URLs?

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

Im certainly not well-versed in how the search engine ads specifically work, but you could try cloning the rule you're matching, and specify google/bing applications in that policy. Define a URL Filtering profile that doesn't block web-adverts in the rule.

I hope that helps!

L2 Linker

Hi,

so basically I had the same issue with a customer once. They've blocked a lot of stuff include the "Google - I am no robot - capture" which was required to enter the website. So we allowed it, analyzed the webpage (in Chrome presss F12), found the respective URL and allowed it trough. Strange enough even allowing *.google.* was not working out. However you can try to go on with your category blocking and starting whitlisting those advertisements. Unfortunately I am unaware of best practice here. I good way to start is within the URL filtering log. Setup filters like (url contains 'bing') and (action eq block) so see whats blocked and allow it if suitable. For testing you can clone the respective rule and add a UserID to it so the setup can be tested on live environment without interrupting. (if no UserID in place nail the source ip down to something)

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
René
// If you like my answer force commit it.

L1 Bithead

I have implemented a couple of cloud SWG's from other companies and they do not block search results but do block Ads really well, Palo Alto does block search results on every PAND implementation I have experienced. This is a problem for retail/ marketing companies who have to allow all ADS and then utilize Ad-blockers in browsers which is not an optimum solution. 

CCNP, CCDP, PCNSE
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!