URL Filtering - Counter Termism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Filtering - Counter Termism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU)

L1 Bithead

Hi All.

First post so hopefully in the right place.

We are using our 3220s for url filtering in our school.  I have been asked to check if our filtering is including content from the UK CTIRU database.  We make use of the Extremism category as part of our filtering, however I cannot find any information to say one way or the other if the content from the CTIRU database is included.  Our support partner was not able to confirm.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @EllistonEnsor ,

PAN-DB uses URL information from Unit 42, WildFire, passive DNS, Palo Alto Networks telemetry data, and data from the Cyber Threat Alliance. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@EllistonEnsor,

If this is for any sort of compliance aspect I'd recommend setting up a URL EDL and just polling the CTIRU for URLs assuming that it's actually available in a programmatic format somewhere. Just doing a brief Google search and I'm not seeing an actual published database. 

Thanks for the reply and suggestion BPry.  That was our support partners suggestion, however I couldn't find any info on the database either.  Thanks for your time looking.

Thanks JayGolf for your input.  The only info I can see directly from Palo is :

extremism—Websites promoting terrorism, racism, fascism, or other extremist views discriminating against people or groups of different ethnic backgrounds, religions or other beliefs. This category was introduced to enable adherence to child protection laws required in the education industry. In some regions, laws and regulations may prohibit allowing access to extremist sites, and allowing access may pose a liability risk.

I will keep digging! Thanks for your time looking.

• 4 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!