URL Filtering Order of Operations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Filtering Order of Operations

L3 Networker

Could someone tell me the order of operations the firewall uses when evaluating a site for URL Filtering (using PAN-DB if that makes a difference) in terms of how the firewall examines a URL and when it makes a match based on custom url categories, default categories, url filtering block list, and url filtering allow list.  I'm wanting to get a better understanding how the firewall does this.  I have a scenario where I added *.info to a custom URL category to block this for everyone in my environment.  I added a specific url www.mysite.info (for example only.  Not real URL) to a custom URL category that I want to allow for everyone in my environment.  Even though I did this, the site was still blocked.  I added www.mysite.info to to the URL filtering profile allow list and I could then get to www.mysite.info while other .info sites were blocke

What I'm really wanting to know is if the configuration described above is correct, or if there would be a better way to pull off what I am trying to do.  I wanted to be able to edit one or two custom URL custom categories instead of touching all of URL profiles.

Thanks!
-D

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Hello Dan,

Please find bellow document for order.

What order does the PAN use to check for URL categories?

Add following tow in allow list, it will work.

*.mysite.info/

mysite.info/

Regards,

Hardik Shah

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

Hello Dan,

Please find bellow document for order.

What order does the PAN use to check for URL categories?

Add following tow in allow list, it will work.

*.mysite.info/

mysite.info/

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L3 Networker

Remember that if you put it on the allow list, it will be allowed but it won't be logged.

L3 Networker

Thanks,
I knew this info was out there somewhere.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!