User-ID not mapping all traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User-ID not mapping all traffic

L4 Transporter

Why the user-id is missing for some traffic. This also causes issue with policies using user-id. 

Below traffic log is for same user/zone/ip

image.png

13 REPLIES 13

L2 Linker

How is your User-ID mapping implementation configured?

@staustin We have agent-less configuration to pull user-ID's from domain controllers

Can anyone suggest what the issue might be.

You might have the timeout set too low. Default is 45 mins.  I have mine set to 24 hours.  Some suggest 8 is OK but it depends on domain activity.  

@Mick_Ball We have it for 15 hours and even if it was 45mins that would not explain why within matter of minutes there is username associated for some traffic while not for other.

Yes i can now see that in your original post. How many servers are you monitoring. Could it be that one of them is not reading the security logs correctly and overwriting the correct information.

Hello,

If you are using exchange, I would suggest checking against it. The reason is that when Outlook is open it is authenticating very frequently.

Regards,

@Mick_Ball and @OtakarKlier Thanks for suggestions. But how would i check/determine if some server is not reading security logs correctly. We are using 3 of them. Also there is no exchange server, its O365 that we have. 

I did install agent on 1 of them and it seems better, but i will monitor and update

To test this i would remove 2 servers from user id and see what happens, then add a second, monitor, then add the third.... it should not cause any issues as you seem not to be using id’s for policies. 

this has become some serious issues in my environment. I have 20 firewalls and 10 ipsec site to site. 

the recent issue I just realized is that if a user on GP crossing ipsec tunnel from PA to PA, the user id will be dropped at the destination, 

and now all the rules will be denying because it can not see the username.

this is very unstable, since 2017, I have been opening tickets 2~3 times a year and still no solid solution. 

Some critical information is missing from your explanation but I will assuming your setup is the following:

1.  UserA connects via GP to FirewallA

2. UserA then accesses a resource behind  FirewallB

3.  FirewallB  has an ipsec s2s tunnel to FirewallA and this is how GP users are reaching the resource behind FirewallB

If the above  is true, then FirewallB needs to be receiving redistributed GP mappings from FirewallA.  FirewallB doesn't magically know about the ip to user mapping of UserA that is known to FirewallA.  FirewallB must be told wha the ip to user mapping is by configuring user-id redistribution.

you are right on the setup.

and I have user identification enabled on the tunnel ZONEs, and both firewall A and B are pointed 4 AD servers for monitoring and user id mapping. 

but Im guessing I would need the redistribution ?

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/8-1/panorama-admin/panorama-overview/user-id-redistributi...

?

thanks for your reply.

Your guess is correct, you do need user identification, but you also need redistribution.  User identification turns on the ability to learn mappings and redistribution actually sends the mapping from FirewallA to FIrewallB.

• 13 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!