User-ID on incoming connections

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User-ID on incoming connections

L1 Bithead

So, we are currently using the user-id agent to monitor our CAS exchange servers. This is working great for identifiying our internal users hitting exchange from the inside. However I would like to begin identifying users that are accessing the CAS servers from the outside. I have tested this with a single IP address range added to the user-ID agent on our DC's to verify that it is indeed possible. This was also successfull.

The question I have is - Can one (or should one) include all IP addresses into the User-ID agent? Will this be too much overhead for the User-ID agent and or PA to handle? Is the IP include/exclude match occur before or after an appropriate event is found within the event stream? What will happen to the WMI probing process?

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

Hopefully you have your clients segmented away from the servers which gives that adding only the clientip ranges should be enough (and most optimized).

For clients from for example Internet I assume you use some kind of VPN and this will have internal ip's that your internal firewall will see.

I imagine that if you add 0.0.0.0/0 as ip range the user-id agent will try to resolve connections it doesnt have to, like connection from another server.

But sure - if the process running on the source server is using a specific account you could use userid to limit not only on zone, ip, service (port) and appid but also userid. But I dont know how user-id agent is compatible with such approach (since on the server there is normally noone logged in on the console and each process runs with their own user).

L2 Linker

I think the User-ID Agent must process every relevant event in the security log regardless of your include/exclude list.  The include/exclude list is simply a control mechanism for what addressing the agent ultimately provides user mapping for. I think including all addressing will have negligible effect on performance. 

I wouldn't want the agent to do a WMI probe of an external client.  For external users it might be better to run a separate agent with all the probing options turned off... exclude all private addressing and include 0.0.0.0/0. 

Jeff

L1 Bithead

What we are trying to accomplish is to correlate a user with a file block/data filter rules that we have on connections coming from the internet into our DMZ OWA server. Right now it is a manual process; We see a data filter get triggered, then we have to get the source public IP and dig into the OWA IIS logs to see what AD user logged in from that IP.

I will probaly increase the included IP ranges slowly to see how the user-agent reacts. It already takes up a healthy amount of memory.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!