V-Wire in VMware.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

V-Wire in VMware.

L4 Transporter

I am trying to trial V-Wire for an upcoming requirement .

The final goal is to secure a number of VMware VM's on their original IP's [differing subnets ] behind a v-wire. 

So I have a VM100 which I have assigned 2 interfaces

one   to a vswitch connected to a virtual PC 192.x.x.5 

other to a vswtich connected to a virtual server 192.x.x.10

there's rules in both directions to pass all traffic.

But a simple ping either way fails, does not even show up in the log.

I am not sure if it's a VMWare related issue or some thing on the PA.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

It's not NSX, that would solve my issue full stop.

The VM100 works fine for normal test traffic, been in place for a few years. 

Just V-Wire I am having difficulty with. 

The SUBNET on the V-Wire is on the same IP range as the management interface, but should that be an issue???

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Is this an NSX-integrated deployment from Panorama, or just a stand-alone VM?  Also, how many virtual interfaces did you add to the VM?  The first will go the the management port, the second to first Ethernet interface, third to the second Ethernet interface, etc.

It's not NSX, that would solve my issue full stop.

The VM100 works fine for normal test traffic, been in place for a few years. 

Just V-Wire I am having difficulty with. 

The SUBNET on the V-Wire is on the same IP range as the management interface, but should that be an issue???

Sorted I think.

Combination of not having the "promiscuous mode enabled" on the v-switch port group, and one of the two endpoints havign windows firewall on for some obscure reason.

rp.png

@RobinClayton wrote:

No, I've done several VMs where the mgmt inerface is in the same range, though w/ L3 interfaces, not v-wire.  I was just assuming it was a new VM, and wanting to make sure you took that into account when adding virtual interfaces.  Glad you got it sorted.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!