VWire

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VWire

Not applicable

I have configure a 2050 in a vwire configuration can I still utilize layer3 on the device.  From what I have been reading if I configure PAN device for vwire then the device cannot due any layer3 funcationality.

2 REPLIES 2

L6 Presenter

You can setup L3 on the other interfaces (which are not part of the vwire configuration) if you wish?

But in theory I think it should be possible - I mean vwire isnt directly magical (even if it might feel like magic 😉

I would like to say that vwire is similar to how you can setup a cisco switch with a SVI (Switch Virtual Interface):

interface FastEthernet1

switchport access vlan 123

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

!

interface FastEthernet2

switchport access vlan 123

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

!

interface Vlan123

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

In the above case stuff that enters FE1 will most likely pop out at FE2 and the other way around - however if the packet arriving to either FE1 or FE2 have dstip=10.0.0.1 then the switch itself will respond.

The "design" documentation states as a vwire disadvantage "cannot perform any layer 3 functionality on the device, such at NAT or routing" with a side note that starting in PAN OS 4.1 NAT is possible in a vwire configuration.  I have been trying to get layer3 to work on a PA200 with no success.  Ports 1 and 2 are in the vwire, so trying to get ports 3 and 4 to work, but after configuring the ports for L3 and creating a route the devices connected to ports 3 and 4 cannot get out to the internet.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!