Acceptable packet loss over Global Protect VPN?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Acceptable packet loss over Global Protect VPN?

L1 Bithead

Dear all,

I was just wondering if others suffer from packet loss over their GlobalProtect VPN connection which has any impact on the connection or applications? We use a financial package that has a fat app on the endpoint and connects back to an SQL db on campus. This app doesn't deal with packet loss very well and bombs out every now and then. We can replicate this onsite as well.

We have multiple other apps, that operate in a similar fashion and never have any issues, just seems to be this one. We have contacted the provider and they told us to just use terminal services and the VPN is the problem. I have done multiple ping tests from home and my packet loss is always < 1%. I have done the same test with the user and sometimes the loss is up to 1% pinging the financial server over the VPN connection.

Is this normal behaviour? I suppose some packet loss is expected, but what is an acceptable figure?

Thanks for any help or insights into this. I didn't want to open a ticket with support yet, as I'm not sure there is a problem here.

Edward

1 REPLY 1

L1 Bithead

Sorry I realised I didn't supply any technical context with this..
We're currently using GP version 5.2.9 agent using an IPSec tunnel directly back to a single gateway
PA-850's in HA running 10.0.8-h4

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!