cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

After connecting to Global Protect unable to use RDP

L1 Bithead

Hi Friends,

We have a customer who is facing issues while accessing RDP via Global Protect.

User is not able to access the RDP machine after connecting to RDP. We have tried by adding the RDP ip in the include list.

We have also tried by creating a specific policy for ms-rdp. It is hitting the correct rule but unable to access.

For the logs we could see that application is showing as incomplete.

We have tried by taking packet captures. Surprisingly we got all four packets drop, transmit, firewall and Transmit packets.

I have merged all the four packets to see. I could see that TCP Port reused messages.

Kindly help where and what could be done to solve this.

I am attaching the screenshot for your reference.

Regards

Monica.Screenshot (124).png

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

At initial look I would say routing issue.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Monicashree ,

If the NGFW captures packets in the drop stage, then it is dropping the packets. First, check the traffic logs to see the drops.  (Make sure logging is enabled for interzone default.)

If you don't see anything there, you may be able to see why with the last command in this article -> https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000CloNCAS.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Screenshot seems to show:

Packet 1 - SYN arrives to Palo
Packet 2 - SYN goes through firewall stage in Palo
Packet 3 - SYN is sent out from Palo
Packet 4 - SYN ACK arrives back to Palo
Packet 5 - SYN ACK goes through firewall stage in Palo
Packet 6 - ??? Either captured from "transmit" stage or "drop" stage

If packet 6 is captured from "transmit" stage then you need to figure out if 172.16.10.70 receives it and why it does not send ACK back.

Most likely it is captured from "drop" stage.

This means that either routing back to 172.16.10.70 is broken, return traffic is routed to different zone compared where it came from or if some zone protection settings is dropping it.

I suggest to add 2 packet capture filters one where source is 172.16.10.70 and destination 192.168.45.31 and second filter line with source/destination IPs flipped around.

Run command:

> show counter global filter delta yes packet-filter yes

Generate some traffic and then run same command again.

This shows reason why packets are dropped.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

L1 Bithead

I notice that the packet is not reaching its destination from the basic flow. Is it possible for you to capture the same packets on the DC firewall? I think that firewall is causing the same issue that you are seeing.

So the route cause analysis is that this is a down stream network issue. 

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!