Crowdstrike Falcon v6 not recognised by Global Protect HIP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Crowdstrike Falcon v6 not recognised by Global Protect HIP

L0 Member

Hi everyone!

I believe this is a new one here, but due to upgrading to Mac OS BigSur soon, we need to upgrade GlobalProtect version 5.1.1 to the latest one 5.1.7.

However, we have a double constraint here.

At the moment, we're checking that Crowdstrike v5 is running as part of our HIP checks. When moving to BigSur, we have to upgrade Crowdstrike into v6, but GlobalProtect is not seeing it as part of the HIP reports.

We've been able to "fool" GlobalProtect by inserting plist files from Crowdstrike in /Library/LaunchDaemons but this is not making GlobalProtect detect Crowdstrike.

Is there still compatibility updates that need to be done in GlobalProtect to recognise Crowdstrike v6?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

GP release 5.1.8 fixed the issue for me. HIP now shows CS Falcon 6.12.x under Anti-Malware on macOS endpoints.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

L1 Bithead

Similar issue. We don't check for a specific version just that CS is installed and Real Time Protection is running. All was good at first and still is if its a Windows device, but v6.1x on Macs while detected no longer has Real Time Protection running. Its most likely due to Apple moving away from kernel extensions, but we have cases opened with Palo and Falcon.

Got this from Falcon, but last thing I want to do is run custom checks. I just want it working automagically like before...

Custom health check scripts or VPN compliance checks may need to be updated using these new processes.
To check for sensor health, run /Applications/Falcon.app/Contents/Resources/falconctl stats

Yes, at the moment we've been able to workaround it using plists but that does not allow us to check that the Crowdstrike is running and protecting the endpoint.

We still don't have a final solution for this and we may need to either put the BigSur rollout on hold or not using the Crowdstrike check as a condition

L1 Bithead

Has anyone heard from support or engineering on this? We've had a case open for a few weeks and their only suggestion was to upgrade the agent, which obviously didn't work. 

My case's status is TAC escalation since 11/26.

L0 Member

Any more updates on this?

I was told it was going to be resolved in the next GP Data File release. It’s an issue with OPSWAT which is the underlying software that runs the HIP Checks. 

Feedback I received is that it will be fixed in GP releases 5.1.8 and 5.2.5. That sounds different than the GP Data File version.

Same issue though? We are just having issues with Mac users only.

@froche, yes only with Falcon detection on Macs.

GP release 5.1.8 fixed the issue for me. HIP now shows CS Falcon 6.12.x under Anti-Malware on macOS endpoints.

L2 Linker

Had the same issue today with 5.2.8 on a PC. Simply upgraded to 5.2.12 and the problem was instantly fixed.

When you look a the HIP report on the FW it said realtime protection was NOT enabled. With the new GP version is then said realtime protection WAS enabled without making any change to Crowdstrike and let it connect to the network again.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!