Global Protect MFA with Microsoft Authenticator

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect MFA with Microsoft Authenticator

L1 Bithead

Hi,

I am looking for the way to integrate Global Protect MFA with Microsoft Authenticator App. Please note that I need to local user database of the firewall for the authentication and Microsoft Authenticator App for the second factor.

Please help on this.

11 REPLIES 11

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@zeromahesh,

I don't think this is going to be possible with Microsoft. Since this is built out as a SAML authentication provider unlike SecurID Access, Okta, Duo, and PingID where you can use the built-in MFA vendor providers. 

Hi BPry

Thank you for replying me.. But actually I came across few articles where I thought it is possible.. Please see one the articles below and help me on this..

https://support.nvcc.edu/news/556/multifactor-authentication-mfa-for-globalprotect-vpn-and-retiremen...

@zeromahesh,

The document you referenced is almost certainly relying solely on their Microsoft authentication SAML provider. As stated, your wanting to use local users as the initial factor and then using Microsoft as the secondary. 
If you were using one of the built-in MFA vendors available through the firewall what you’re attempting to do isn’t an issue. Microsoft isn’t included in that list though, meaning you have to utilize SAML authentication for this provider. While not impossible to do what your asking, it’s more of a workaround and creates a poor user experience. 

I guess what I would be asking myself in your shoes is why I’m using local users as the initial factor. What benefit is that giving you in your configuration, and why aren’t you just using the SAML provider? 

Hi Bpry

Can I use OKTA for MFA in Global Protect?

L1 Bithead

Just rolled this out using azure and saml to mfa. Also disabled users from approving or denying. Instead a otp must be used. To my knowledge can't do this with a local database using microsoft authenticator.

Thanks for your reply. You can do this with Azure Active Directory P1
license and Microsoft Authenticator. Actually I implemented it.

Hi Zeromahesh

That's nice!!! Can You share the configuration necessary with me? Thank you.

HI Thanks. I will share the demo in my youtube channel Firewall Life.

Hi @zeromahesh 

Very good... I dont found this video in your channel, please send the link for me.

Thank you.

@zeromahesh 

we are looking forward to your video, need to make this work too...thank you

Hi,

Actually I recorded a demonstration on how to integrate Palo Alto Global Protect with Azure Active Directory with Two Factor authentication. Please check the below YouTube link.

https://youtu.be/GxRdPPsIHH8

• 11 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!