Global Protect mixed internal and external gateway

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect mixed internal and external gateway

L1 Bithead

hi everybody, i've some questions regarding global protect client and mixed environment internal / external

we have a internal campus networking infrastructure with lan and wlan (2 different subnets), so the laptop changes the ip-address if traveling around the campus, wired or unwired...

so we have installed global protect client for internal use without tunnel mode for user-id through palo firewall for internet access...this seems to work..

but now:

users want to connect with global protect from external to campus network, external access is planed with multi-factor-auth 

via radius config in global protect

now i've tried several things:

2 portal-config setups (internal and external) because we need 2 different connect methods for global protect

1. on demand with mfa via radius-auth (if user connects external)
  2. always on with ldap-auth (if user is on campus network)

and 2 gateway-config setups

1. tunnel mode (if user connects external)
  2. no mode (if user is on campus network)

is this setup recommended?

or what would be best practise?

1 portal and mfa internal + external?

i've seen some strange behaviour with mixed portal config...sometimes client does not connect internal when last connection was external...

maybe someone can help me....

regards, fabian

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Land-Salzburg ,

You need to use one GP portal agent config with both the internal and external gateways configured, and the priority of the external gateway should be "Manual only".

Your GP client is always selecting the external gateway because you configured it to do so with the 1st agent config.  Multiple agent configs only work if the OS and/or users are different.

With regard to mixed authentication methods for the portal and gateway, I have done that before.  What version of PAN-OS do you have?  What is your disconnect message?

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

for those who have the same problem:

portal with 2fa and gateway with 2fa:

if using panos 10.1.2 >> pls upgrade

PAN-177119

Fixed an issue with the GlobalProtect gateway where SMS-message-based multi-factor authentication (MFA) did not display a prompt to enter the authentication code.

that fixed my radius-troubles on gateway authentication

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Land-Salzburg ,

This document describes almost exactly what you are trying to do -> https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/10-0/globalprotect-admin/globalprotect-quick-configs....

Let me highlight the main points:

1. Only 1 portal is needed.  It is a separate appliance in the diagram, but all portals and gateways can be on a single NGFW.
  2. Two gateways are used, internal and external.
  3. The client uses Internal Host Detection to determine whether to connect to the internal or external gateway (2nd sentence).
  4. The 1st note block says that the internal connections can be always-on while the external gateway can be on-demand.

You can have the portal and internal gateway authenticate with LDAP and the external gateway authenticates via RADIUS w/MFA.  Assuming that the LDAP and RADIUS user/pass is the same, the authentication should be seamless with 1 MFA prompt for the external gateway.

Thanks,

Tom

hi tom, thanks for your answers

i've already seen this diagramm / howto

nevertheless: i've some more questions:

one ngfw and i've made one portal:

first question: my dns-records (internal and official / external)

should these be the same fqdn?

• vpn.abc.com  (resolves to external official ip if laptop is out of campus)
  • vpn.abc.com  (resolves to internal private ip if laptop is onsite)

next question: different agent config on portal configuration?

• network -- global protect -- portals -- myportal
    • tab agent >>>>
      • do i insert 2 agent configs and how do they differ ? where to set host detection and where not?
      • where to set internal gw / external gw and where not?

i've made a screenshot of current portal config..

schule.JPG

with this single portal config the gp-client internal says: global protect portal does not exists...so i need 2 portals or not?

the gateways are here:

schule-intern.JPG

radius and ldap-server use same user-credentials, radius was only configured for mfa

maybe you can give me some advice

regards, fabian

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Land-Salzburg ,

1. The DNS records should be the same.  Both should resolve to the public IP of the portal.  The portal is configured for that IP address only, otherwise you will get the "portal does not exist" error.
  2. The portal agent configuration should be always-on.  Under the Network > GlobalProtect > Portals > <portal-config> > Agent > <agent-config> > External tab, change the priority of your gateway to "Manual only".  The doc does not tell you how to do this.  This prevents the client from automatically connecting to the external gateway.
  3. Internal Host Detection is setup under the Network > GlobalProtect > Portals > <portal-config> > Agent > <agent-config> > Internal tab.  You can click the ? button in the upper right of the box for instructions.
  4. The doc uses different DNS names for the 2 gateways.  That is a good idea.  The external gateway is configured on the external IP address, and the internal gateway is configured on the internal IP address.  The DNS records should match what you configure in the portal.

I think I answered all of your questions.  🙂

Thanks,

Tom

hi tom, thanks for your answers

so i set 2 agent-configs on the portal

• agent-conf-external  -- with option internal host detection, set ip addresses for internal and external gateway and method "on-demand"
  • agent-conf-internal -- with option internal host detection, set ip addresses for internal and external gateway and method "always-on"

i've also made 2 gateways internal and external

• gw-external -- with mfa-auth and tunnel mode
  • gw-internal -- with ldap and NO tunnel setting

now an interesting thing:

laptop onsite of campus: global-protect-client connects to portal, enter credentials and after that enables and establish and ipsec-tunnel...

and some other problem: radius-auth on gateway without radius-auth on portal does not work, agent keeps disconnected...

it seems the gp-agent does not recognize internal use...how can i debug this? what could be possible wrong?

regards, fabian

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Land-Salzburg ,

You need to use one GP portal agent config with both the internal and external gateways configured, and the priority of the external gateway should be "Manual only".

Your GP client is always selecting the external gateway because you configured it to do so with the 1st agent config.  Multiple agent configs only work if the OS and/or users are different.

With regard to mixed authentication methods for the portal and gateway, I have done that before.  What version of PAN-OS do you have?  What is your disconnect message?

Thanks,

Tom

hi tom,

thanks for your support....I'm not inconveniencing you, I hope, seems a difficult topic to me...

well maybe my mistake: i thought it needs 2 agent configs on the single-portal,

1st config for internal always-on

and

2nd config for external on-demand

i'll change the single-portal --> agent config to 1 config with internal and external gateways set and internal host  detection activated..

i wasn't aware of the the function portal-config --> agent-config --> external gateway --> source region any and priority manual setting

mfa-topic:

current pan-os: 10.1.2

current gpa: 5.2.10

behaviour: agent connects --> enter user and pwd --> enter pin-code --> nothing happens....agent keeps trying to connect, but no

logging even in the agent-debug log....

strange...

regards, fabian

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thanks @Land-Salzburg !

What do the logs say on the MFA side?

hi tom,

i can deliver the logs on monday, out of office now..

regards, fabian

for those who have the same problem:

portal with 2fa and gateway with 2fa:

if using panos 10.1.2 >> pls upgrade

PAN-177119

Fixed an issue with the GlobalProtect gateway where SMS-message-based multi-factor authentication (MFA) did not display a prompt to enter the authentication code.

that fixed my radius-troubles on gateway authentication

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!