Global Protect VPN frequently getting disconnected

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect VPN frequently getting disconnected

L2 Linker

Hi,

We are facing issue with Global Protect VPN client connectivity for one of the user machine. Below are the details of the issue.

-> Global Protect VPN is very frequently getting disconnected

-> in Global Protect VPN connection stauts - can only see Packets Out , there are not Packets In.

In GP event logs can see "Tunnel is down due to keep-alive timeout" logs

Please let me know what can be the possible reason for GPVPN frequently disconnecting - but once connected there is no connectivity to corporate VPN over GPVPN.

Attaching the Global Protectlogs debug logs took from user n=machine during the time for issue.

Note: Issue is happening on for one user.For rest all users GPVPN is connecting fine.

24 REPLIES 24

L1 Bithead

Agree on the issue occurring since upgrading our firewalls to 10.1.6.

Issue was not present prior to upgrading 10.1.6.    Immediately after 10.1.6 upgrade, my users experienced this issue.  No change in GP client version as part of the upgrade.   Currently using 5.2.x GP branch, tested using multiple versions, included latest 5.2.12.

Issue occurs regardless of wireless/wired connection at offsite location, regardless of internet providers at offsite locations, or different internet providers connected to the firewalls themselves.

Hope to open a ticket this week with support on the issue.

Update: Opened a ticket with TAC - looks like this is a known issue, although there is no resolution and only a workaround. Workaround= completely shutdown the device and power back on (not a reboot) or to downgrade to 10.1.5-h2 or another previous version. Here's the kicker. We downgraded our PA-3250s in an HA pair one at a time to 10.1.5-h2, and after we tested our Active FW on 10.1.5-h2, GP users were NOT being disconnected (great!) then we downgraded our passive FW, and now the passive FW will not connect to Panorama. 

Looks like this is another bug and no work around yet. Still working with TAC....this is frustrating to say the least

L1 Bithead

Similar to @frankis ..  on my support ticket, full shutdown, don't reboot...

so last night, shutdown one box, pulled power plugs for about 5 minutes.... plugged them back in and powered it back up...

currently, my laptop is connected via the VPN for over 5 hours without disconnecting.

@MattShuter Can you tell me the boxes you have? Are your boxes in HA pair? Are they 3200 series boxes?

5220s, not in HA pairs..  running at separate sites.   Will shutdown my second box this weekend I think.

L1 Bithead

fixed in 10.1.7 for some models...as noted in release notes:

"(PA-3200 Series, PA-5200 Series, and PA-5400 Series firewalls only) Fixed an issue where GlobalProtect IPSec tunnels disconnected at half the inactivity logout timer value.

L1 Bithead

We are also getting timeout errors on GlobalProtect connections after upgrading to 10.1.6-h6 on our PA-3220 happening at 45 mins with the inactivity logout set to 90 mins. Which coincides with the noted fix quoted above: "fixed in 10.1.7 for some models...as noted in release notes:

"(PA-3200 Series, PA-5200 Series, and PA-5400 Series firewalls only) Fixed an issue where GlobalProtect IPSec tunnels disconnected at half the inactivity logout timer value."

Increased the inactivity timeout to 1200 mins as a work around. Still waiting to see if it fixes the issue. 

L0 Member

Hi,

We are also having auto disconnection issue which happened to 25 of our workstation in office, is there a solution?

Thanks

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

While I do not know of a solution, this is from another vendors recommendations:

• Disable all IPv6 on the client
  • Connect with patch cable and not WiFi
  • Reboot 'home' internet routers
  • Patch 'home' internet routers

Hope one of these might help.

What OS version are you running on your firewall?   The issue was reportedly fixed in 10.1.7 for various models.

Prior to that, a shutdown/power off of the firewall resolved the issue, as recommended by support.    *NOT a reboot*

As noted, if that is not possible to upgrade or pull the power at this time, you could increase the timeout period to double what is needed.

• 24 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!