GlobalProtect with Windows 7 VirtualBox VM setup

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect with Windows 7 VirtualBox VM setup

L0 Member

One of my clients has recently switched their VPN setup from Checkpoint over to GlobalProtect, and it's completely broken our Virtualbox setup. Our PCs run Windows 10 natively, and then we use VirtualBox to run Windows 7 VMs to support some legacy software.

When I go to install GlobalProtect, it installs fine on the Windows 10 Host. However, if I try to install it inside the VM on Win7, it never works. The GP installer throws an unsigned driver error on installation, and even if I say to install the driver anyway, it looks like it's failing to create the PANGP network interface in the guest OS. Then when I go to connect, it contacts the server just fine, accepts my AD login info and RSA token, but then ultimately fails to create the VPN connection.

Running the VPN on the host (with the VirtualBox network set to NAT mode) works... for some of our applications. The internet connection tunnels through, but there are certain domains that are inaccessible from within the guest OS. I'm thinking it's a DNS issue, but I'm honestly not much of a networking guy and am not quite sure how to approach the problem.

In searching online I've seen several posts on various sites that recommend adding a second network adapter to the VM, using bridged mode, or paravirtualized mode, or host-only mode. I have tried every possible combination I can think of there but can't seem to get it working. I would prefer to get the VPN client running INSIDE the VM (which is how we used Checkpoint before) since that gives our users the option to use the host connection as normal and only the VM is tunneled through the VPN. But if that isn't possible I will settle for getting the VM to fully utilize the host's VPN connection instead.

Does anyone have experience with a setup like this? Any advice on how I can get GlobalProtect to properly install inside a Windows 7 VM? Or perhaps a different VPN client that I can use to connect to a Palo Alto firewall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!