How to detect if the VPN connection is fully ready?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to detect if the VPN connection is fully ready?

L1 Bithead

I have a logon script (PowerShell) that captures details and saves them to a file on a network share. This works for users on the network but those who are remotely working are using the GP VPN and the file is not getting saved. The problem seems to be the VPN is in a connected state when the user logs into the computer. However, as the login process completes GP VPN disconnects and spends around 10 - 20 seconds reconnecting again. During this reconnection period the logfile gets saved to the destination. Since the connection is no longer there - it's lost.

How can I detect if the connection is established?

Kevin W. Gagel
Temporary Support Analyst
Canfor
5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

hi,

Are you using pre-logon?

L1 Bithead

I read through this Remote Access VPN with Pre-Logon (paloaltonetworks.com) and based on its description I would say yes, pre-logon is in place.

Kevin W. Gagel
Canfor

perhaps it may assist if you ran the script via the post-logon option under local user...

Mick_Ball_1-1706715080559.png

Also... when using pre-logon, the user logon should just rename the established pre-logon tunnel by default, perhaps you need to see why this is not happening...  it may be that the tunnel is not reachable when connected via GP, this will prevent the tunnel from being renamed and cause a GP refresh... which in effect is what you are seeing for 10-20 seconds after login.

This is a domain wide logon script that is assigned via the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" key. Not all computers are connecting remotely through the VPN.

Kevin W. Gagel
Canfor

would it be a bad thing to also have the script set for post-logon, also, try to find out why the gateway reconnects on user logon.

the default behaviour is for the pre-logon tunnel to remain connected...

can you resolve the gateway address internally, this may be causing the GP refresh issue...

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!